• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

19C improvement for a penny

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeTimbers

Built all my spare components into a working box yesterday and was surprised to find a 54C temp under load with a C533A running at 872 at 1.85v. Heatsink is a Mini Copper Orb on a Soltek slocket with AS2.

Dismounted the HSF and placed a lapped 1971 UK penny between the core and the HSF.

Re-booted and 35C!

Whoa! HUGE difference! I knew that those (silver?) pennies help, but not that much. Shame we don't have silver coins here in Finland. I do have a 100mk coin (about €16.7), which is made of silver, but I'm not going to sacrifice it, as it's an anniversary coin.

What a great story man! This should be an article on the front page if it's true! For all the people wanting CHEAP cooling solutions, I hope they read this.

I don't think it would help me since I have a solid copper SK6 mounted with Arctic Silver II. One of these days I'll get to lapping the SK6 and see what that does for me.

It is very likely that the lack of cooling was due to insuficiant clamping preasure and that the coin made up for this.

I think there are places where you can buy 1 oz. silver ingots. Those might do the trick without the need for so much lapping.

ken257 (Jul 19, 2001 07:15 a.m.):
It is very likely that the lack of cooling was due to insuficiant clamping preasure and that the coin made up for this.

Entirely my point. Many coolers do not apply sufficient pressure and with standard clip-type attachment methods it is very difficult to know whether your HSF is properly attached.

The penny is not significant except for increasing the pressure.[1] As has also been said, this could crush/crack a core so should be used with extreme caution.

[1] The date is significant since it means this particular penny is 99% copper, btw. Current UK "copper" coins are made from steel.

MikeTimbers (Jul 19, 2001 05:09 a.m.):
Built all my spare components into a working box yesterday and was surprised to find a 54C temp under load with a C533A running at 872 at 1.85v. Heatsink is a Mini Copper Orb on a Soltek slocket with AS2.

Dismounted the HSF and placed a lapped 1971 UK penny between the core and the HSF.

Re-booted and 35C!

About how tall is this penny? I'd imagine that the core would be smashed if it's too thick.

Why don't somebody try not using a penny but rather, elevate the clip itself by placing some space underneath it. Then we'll really find out whether it's clamping pressure or not, ot it's just pennywise :).

Back