• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I NEED to Overclock my 1.7 celeron with my ecs mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilstonecapone

Registered
how do i go about overclocking my 1.7 celeron processor with my ecs motherboard....im running windows XP with 786mb sdram pc133.....I NEED some help. THANKS!!!!!:burn:

What ECS mobo is it? There are several, all with different options in the BIOS.

But, I should warn you, ECS motherboards generally have very few options for overclocking. They do not allow for much variation in front side bus selection... they will have a couple of set options.

And on top of that, the Celeron 1.7 is a very poor overclocker. If your ECS board only has bus speeds of 100 and 133, don't expect to do any overclocking, because that 1.7 will almost definitely not make it on a 133 bus, which would be 2.2ghz.

So, in short, let us know what model your motherboard is and we'll see what we can do.

edit: I just looked in the Overclockers.com CPU database and found there are only 4 entries for Celeron 1.7... anyway, it seems that those that did overclock were not able to do so without changing the core voltage. If your BIOS will let you change the core voltage, you may be in luck.

i couldnt pass up the deal....the 1.7 and mobo for only 90$ new!!!! the guy had got it as a birthday gift and i offered him 90 and he was like ok......im going to get it in like a few days in the mail.....but right right now....im running an XP 1700+ and im tired of it....

and i do know that the board has the following specs:
Chipset: VIA P4X266A/E & VT8233
FSB: 400MHz
RAM: 2x 184-pin 2.5v DDR SDRAM(266/200) or 2x 168-pin 3.3v SDRAM(100/133) (can not be used simultaneously)

i hope this helps some what...

lilstonecapone said:
how do i go about overclocking my 1.7 celeron processor
I'm not sure it's worth bothering to OC that CPU. The 1.7 Celery uses the old 0.18 micron Willamette P4 core - you'd be lucky to hit 2.0-2.1GHz with it.

The 2GHz Celery however, uses the newer 0.13 micron C1 Northwood core and can usually hit at least 3GHz (you'd probably need to OC it to 3G to get any performance out of it too).

Your CPU+mobo combo would cost about $108 brand new so $90 isn't that good a deal.:(

well if i can get it from 1.7 - 2.0 then thats better then nothing i guess......in the future i will buy another processor but this will do for now tho....

so how would i go about gettin it to 2.0?

Well, I just downloaded the mobo manual (P4VXASD233.pdf) and it looks like overclocking features are thin on the ground with this board. Try going into the BIOS and then the 'CPU PnP Setup' page, then adjust (if you can) the CPU frequency value. I'm not sure you can OC with this board but may as well try eh?:)

ok ...i will try...but may i ask you somthing? lets say i were to stay witgh this motherboard and buy another processor for it....what would be the best one for an ok amount of money?

if any other one has any suggestions.......feel free to state them.....because all the help i get the better:D

Last edited:
Back