• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to do with a bad HDD with no warranty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

J37X

Registered
I bought a Seagate Barracuda IV hard drive last week at a computer show, it was new in an unopened bag, but was sold as is. It dosen't get detected in the bios, but it spins up and makes a few very quiet ticking sounds then turns off. I checked all possible jumper settings, different cables, tried it in a different system, and all are no go. I'm pretty sure i can't get warranty support from seagate cause its an OEM drive. Just wondering if there was anything i could try to do with it, or if im pretty much gonna have to take it as a loss and move on:(

I checked with seagates warranty, but its listed as oem and needs to go thru the original distributor.
I just tried putting it in the freezer for about a half hour, and after hooking it up, it was recognized in the bios and showed up in the device manager in windows, but wasnt given a drive letter in my computer. So i restarted it and the drive registered in the bios again but was making clicking sounds alot louder, and the system didnt make it thru loading windows. Restarted it again and nothing. I'm not sure weather to think its the mechanical parts of the drive or the controller card. If it was the card i could possibly find another one.

If the warranty is still valid, call Seagate and tell them the serial number and see if they will give you a RMA for it. By OEM, meaning its a barebone drive, not a retail drive? Cause thats what I always buy. My Seagate Baracudda IV 80GB started with a bad sectors, RMAed and got it exchanged.

Lucky for me, I had a Seagate authorized dealer 5 min from me, called them, gave them my serial number, RMA approved, and got a new one in 5 min. The drive was about 6 months old.

It is an OEM drive, they will not return it. I know. If you want, I will give you 10 dollars for it and pay for the shipping of it so I can have it here with my dead Seagate Baracudda IV 80GB. Email me and let me know if you would like to make some of your money back. Heck, I will even have my shipping company come out and pick it up at your door. They are giving me a buch of free vouchers since they lost two of my packages in the same week. Shoot me an email at [email protected]

Back