• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nunez1980

Hi all,
I would like some help on the following:
I would like to put a tec on my system:
I was thinking on getting the power supply from becooling and a 220w tec,

I have a maze 3 but doesn't take a cold plate, I though about putting the tec and the cold plate with the steel holdings that the maze 3 comes with along with a cpu shim to protect the core but though that was not going to be the required pressured needed for the tec?

So a new WB would be need, I haven't seen any reviews for the new WB MCW5000, do you guys think is good and does it come ready with cold plate, any suggestions on other...

Finally, I have a DTEK radiator with dual 120mm fans and a eheim 1250, will this be enough cooling for 220w tec?

Also is true that I won't be able to use the wb for my r9700 in the same loop as the cpu and tec?

so many questions, need anwers peace...
:confused:

im not sure about your first questions but i can try to shed some light on this last one:

Also is true that I won't be able to use the wb for my r9700 in the same loop as the cpu and tec?

it is hard to say that you "won't be able to use" the same loop to cool your radeon 9700, however this is the problem that you face - the water that is removing as much of the heat produced by the processor/tec/waterblock as it can is going to be trying to cool your video card also. this means one of two things. Either the water runs over the video card gpu first, gets warmed by the heat it gives off, then goes to cool your processor, OR, the water runs over the processor first and then the warm water goes over to cool your video cards gpu. this is the problem, you are either going to be cooling your gpu or cpu with warmer water. there isnt any reason you can't do this but what you need to ensure is that your heat exchanger (radiator) is able to keep the water cool enough so that you wont fry either component. So the answer is that you can use it in the same loop, however it will add more heat into the closed loop. the processor (cpu and gpu) temperatures are going to each be at least slightly higher than they would be if they were in a loop by themselves. if you like math, you could calculate this. you need to know how many watts of heat the cpu/tec/waterblock together add to the loop and how many watts of heat the gpu/waterblock add to the loop and then take those numbers added together and compare it with the amount of heat the radiator will be able to remove into the surrounding air. those numbers will be rough and theoretical but they will give you an idea of what you are working with. i wish i could refer you to the threads that discuss how to make these calculations however i don't remember the titles, if you look in the recent threads (last week or two) you could find the threads i mean. good luck.

For peace of mind most ppl put their pump after the cpu, since they don't wan't to add "pump heat" to the cpu temp. However, as many talanted ppl has proven with simple math, the increased temp is minimal, we're talking about more or less 0.1C or something. So, putting the gpu after the TEC means that the GPU will get like 0.5 C hotter water as compared putting it before TEC. The "bad" thing is that the water temps in your system will land around 40-50 C :( Well... if it's 40 C, it's borderline, if it is 50C it's unthinkable to use for "water cooling" a GPU, IMO.

yes paxmax explained the problem more simply and i think he's right. the overall water temp is going to be higher which is what i was trying to say, but i think he's right in saying that after passing over the cpu the water will only be slightly warmer than the average loop water temperature when it goes to cool the gpu. assuming that is correct, and the water will only be slightly warmer, then having it in the same loop would not be a bad idea if you were to take measures to ensure a cooler overall water temperature. If ambient temps around your heat exchanger are around 25C then i would think that if you got an efficient, perhaps larger heat exchanger with fans and what not then your temps should not be as high as 40-50C with air cooling your heat exchanger. If you go to auto junk yards you could get a radiator matched to the size of your case, side mount it onto your computer, with fans pulling air across it and the large surface area, i would expect your water temps to be much closer to ambient than 15-25 C above. perhaps you can find a thread on radiators that will highlight someone elses experience and water temps with this method.

On another note, addressing your first original questions, im not sure why you think you need a new water block, could you explain clearly? it sounds like you may need to fashion a clamp to hold everything together and a hold down to keep it all on the processor, but if im understanding what you said correctly - that it all doesnt fit with this waterblock and the clamps you have now- then i dont think you need a new waterblock necessarily. oh and one more thing, when clamping all of this together i think you know that there needs to be a lot of pressure between the cold plate and the tec and the tec and the waterblock, but there only needs to be moderate pressure between that whole unit and your processor die, just want to make sure you were aware of that. good luck.

Last edited:
Back