• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cloudy Lexan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I recently changed the window in my case. There was a rather large scratch in the last piece.

Well, I cut my new piece, and glued it into place w/ clear silicone, and let it set up. Now my problem is that it's cloudy. It looks like there's some kind of film on the lexan.

Does anybody know what it could be/is, and how to remove it so my window is clear?

Thanks!

lol, my acrylic came with clear-blue stuff on it....when I found it at home depot, I thought it was blue acryllic!

Um, have you tried washing it? Did you accidently smear the caulk all over it?

I think they say warm soapy water, no abrasive chemicals or pads, to clean that stuff....

or mebbe you just got a bad piece?

Maybe I'll try washing it w/ soap and water.

I did use Windex on it, but maybe that's what's causing the cloudyness.

Try using some vinegar on a q-tip. The silicone lets off acetic acid when it's curing, maybe more of same will "lift the fog" so to speak.

I'll try the vinegar thing. That might work.

I'll also try some other stuff I've got kicking around. It's anti-static monitor cleaning stuff. that might work, too.

Windex screws up lexan?

I just asked my dads friend who is a owns a door/windows repair place and he said that windex can screw lexan up if it is cheaper quality. Hopefully the vinegar thing will work.

Chrisdafu said:
I just asked my dads friend who is a owns a door/windows repair place and he said that windex can screw lexan up if it is cheaper quality. Hopefully the vinegar thing will work.

Ok, thx!

Uh . . . could you ask him what to do if it happens? :)

Ok, he said to try adding about 2 drops of dawn blue dish soap to a cup or two of water. Spray that on and wipe it off. Then get some cascade (or other dishwashing soap) and dilute it the same as the dawn and then spray it on and wipe it off. The cascade removes any soap film that may have been left over from the dawn. Good luck.

Ugh, I just relized I sound like a 4 year old in my last posts, "I just asked my dads friend who is a owns a door/windows repair " and "Sure, he over here now" go me! :beer:

hey your only a few months younger then me according to your profile:)

dont feel bad i act like a 4 year old most of the time:)

Back