• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RD 800 vs DDR 266 which is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It depends on you mobo, either rambus or ddr, RD800 is faster but you have to:
1. buy an intel 850 chipset based mobo which is no longer supported by intel
2. pay higher price for that mobo
3. must buy two sticks of ram
4. pay higher price for the ram
all that for your puny little 1.7G willy p4 I say not worth it

you must buy 4 sticks to fill the 64bit memory bus, but thats where CRIMMS come in- without them though and you will need four sticks..

can anyone tell me whether the 32bit RD modules require a seperate chipset to work - or just a motherboard that supports them?

IMHO I like my DDR, Rambus requires all slots be filled, so you'd have to buy those spacer things, and that's an extra $10 right there, not to mention the extra cost over DDR.

toastedzergling is right, for your 1.7, DDR is a better bet.

thanks people, can anyone point to some links where i can find detailed technical comparison between DDR and Rambus??

Molybdym said:
IMHO I like my DDR, Rambus requires all slots be filled, so you'd have to buy those spacer things, and that's an extra $10 right there

you get those free with the motherboard

ninthebin said:
you must buy 4 sticks to fill the 64bit memory bus, but thats where CRIMMS come in- without them though and you will need four sticks..

can anyone tell me whether the 32bit RD modules require a seperate chipset to work - or just a motherboard that supports them?

as far as i know only one board can support 32bit RD modules which is the asus p4t533. The moduless are very expensive and nice quality though. Also, the nice thing about 32 bit is no more pairing. btw rambus as we kow it today is 16bit. If intel doesn't drop rambus like they probably will then maybe 64 bit rambus will be oout late next year

Back