• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram or motherboard difference

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
i was wondering... Pinky posted his memory testing results and these were the settings he could manipulate:

DRAM Clock
DRAM Timing
SDRAM Cycle Length
Bank Interleave
Precharge to Active (Trp)
Active to Precharge (Tras)
Active to CMD (Tred)
DRAM Burst Length
DRAM Queue Depth
DRAM Command Rate
DCLKI Timing
DCLKO Timing
Fast R-W Turn Around
Continuous DRAM Request
Write Recovery Time

I do not have all of these settings in my bios (although i have some) so is that a difference in the ram or a difference in the motherboard/bios? I always assumed it to be a difference in my bios. thanks.

that is a difference between what BIOS he is using...he probably has a motherboard which is great for overclocking if it offers all them settings that you can change..

you might be able to get BIOS updates for yours, but dont hold your breath on it adding all of that stuff...

ya alright thanks... i have the latest bios, so no such luck. supposedly my board is great for overclocking according to tomshardware, but it doesnt give me some of the settings other boards give. it is very very stable though, so i cant complain. thanks again.

well..im sure gives you alot of options to perform good overclocking...its probably just doesnt give you an extra million and one for doing things like memory timing etc..

The RAM settings that every board includes are different. If you run Windows, though, you can get WPCREDIT and the PCR file for your chipset and you should be able to modify memory timings that aren't in your BIOS. The one trouble is that they are applied when Windows starts up, so if you dual/multi boot you have to apply it to every OS. And I'm currently unaware of any way to do this on Linux.

sb

hmm thats really interesting sickboy thanks, never heard of that. i wasnt interested in manipulating any of these settings right now, but i was asking the question simply to understand things better, so thats helpful. hell it might even make me cooler. :cool: if someone else is asking a question about settings or something they don't have with their ram i can be like " oh yeah, theres this wpcredit thing ive heard of..." and i will be the maaaan. hah :D yeeeea, thats riiight... did i mention i was involved in a traffic accident today? :eek: i think i might have bumped my head... whats that i hear? planes, little green men? damn, i gottta go get my frying pan...

Back