• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bd7-Raid and continuing temperature issues...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deam

I have discusses this with other forum members before...but I need to bring it up again.

Using stock HSF and ArcticSilver3, on my 1.6A Northwood, I am getting around 42 degree idle temps, and 55-60 load temps.

These cannot be right.
I have reseated the HSF MANY times, I have added AS3, I have added support behind the mobo to prevent bending of the HSF.

When I touch the HSF, it is warm, but not hot.

I recently went watercooling, and my load temps have dropped 10-13 degrees. But still say 48-50 degrees..which, for a watercooled chip with a 25 degree ambient temperature, is still not correct.

Now, I have heard people mention that the BD7, like the BD7-II, has a bit of temperature inaccuracy going on, and I recall one person saying they were in correspondence with ABIT re: bd7/bd7-raid temp inaccuracy.

Can anyone confirm that the BD7-raid has a temperature inaccuracy issue, or is my chip really just running that hot?

My Abit TH7-II has always reported temps very similar to yours, in fact, I've run games for hours at 64 C. I don't think it's a problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am not concerned, per se, about the temperature. Yet, as a picky person, I want to difinitively know that the reading is wrong by a certain amount.

Your temps are exactly like mine.

After all my experimentation, I am almost 100% certain that it is not right.

I think it has been proven time and again that the Abit boards all read the on-die temperatures on average of +10%. I had hoped that maybe they had gotten it fixed between the BD7-II and the BE7 but nope, temps are almost identical between the 2 boards. My 1.8a on the BE7 reads 39c - 40c at idle, just like the 1.6a did on the BD7-II. Both used the same AX-478 with a Mechatronics fan. Case temp is around 30c on both. I just learned to ignore it.

It has never been "proven". It's said on forums, yes, but proven ???

I actually think those are the real temps. Remember that these are measured right INSIDE the CPU, not in the mobo socket as in the case of AMD systems. Even Intel's spec sheets mention a maximum acceptable temp of about 68 C.

This is also supported by the fact that all my heatsinks (and I've tried at least five types) were very hot to the touch when MBM showed load temps of 60+ Celsius.

I'm quite sure that it's Asus boards that show the wrong temps. I mean, guys with those boards often report idle temps that equal their room's temperature (about 25 C). That's ridiculous.

Myabe you could be right.

But, with my watercooling rig..the temps should be 10-15 above ambient air temps...and they are about 20-30...

Yet, if what you say is true, then everyone who is making that claim is basing in on inaccurate temps to begin with.

Going from stock HSF to WC, I see a 10-15 degree drop in load temp. I guess I should be satisfied.

Back