• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7VRXP 2.0 166 bus ?'s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drk Hydrogen

Registered
I have a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP rev2.0 and an XP1900+ AGOGA that is unlocked (as shown in sig below). It just recently got it unlocked and am presently trying to run the 1/1 ratio from proc to RAM as to hit an internal bus of 166 with the 1/5 divisor.

I can get it to boot running 12.5 * 140 with just alittle +7.5% more vcore (1.88). It posts and boots fine with no probs. When i try to hit the 166 internal it posts but wont go any further then finishing the hd dection. It could possibly be that the 166 devisor is not kicking in but i dont think so because it picks up the drive with no problems. On the other hand i am duel booting with WinXP and Gentoo (linux) through Grub 1.5. I was thinking that this might be the source of my woes. So tonite i will reinstall with just WinXp to see if this corrects it.

My goal is to get the 1/5 devisor to kick in and get it to boot. I have a feeling about this board switching back to the second bios when i try to make this jump (Duel BIOS). Any ideas?

Well any way if i cant get this to boot at 166 i need to figure out how to get the multi's over 12.5. I know that you have to unlock a bridge on the proc but i dont know what one. Also if this is the course i have to take how do the dip switches work out? Does the lowest multi on the dip switches become 13? Not too sure about that but i definatly need to know as you could imagine.

it sounds like maybe the CPU can't handle the overclock. the only way to know for sure is to unlock the chip and crank the multiplier down. This way you know it's defintely no the cpu crapping out. I am not sure about the 1900's but on my 1700 I had to close all the L1 brindges on the chip. You have to be careful though. There are laser cut grooves in between the bridges that have to be filled in with something NON conductive first. Clear nail polish works. Just fill in the pits then connect the bridges using a conductive pen that you can get at a hardware store.
Once that is done you can run the chip at say 9.5 or 10 multiplier. Then you can safely go to 166 fsb without maxing out your chip. Once that is done and you can operate fine at 166 then you can find the best combo of 166 fsb and say a multiplier of 10 or 11. All depends on how much your chip can handle.

Whoops just re read your post. It's already unlocked! So what you should do is run a much lower multiplier say 10 or 11 and try that with 166 FSB. If you boot ok then keep upping the multiplier until it craps out. Right now you are running at 1750 MHZ with a mult of 12.5 x140. That sounds like the rough max out of that chip. Go in the opposite direction with the mutipliers, go down! I will post a link to a thread all about this, not sure if you read it yet.

Drk Hydrogen

How the heck can you possibly have a CPU temp of 31C under full load with Air coling?!?!?!? You either live in the arctic and have the window open or it's a typo and should read 41c!!!

its not a typo, its just that i live in Indiana and its winter. my roomate optimus prime has a t-bred 1800 @ 2.0 Ghz at the same temps on air.

i tried all of those multipliers, but to no avail.

To post correcty/boot you must set:

Top Performance= Disabled
Fast command = Normal
Configure SDRM by FREQ= Enabled
DDR FREQ= 266 MHz
Command Rate= 2T not 1T

Vcore = +10%
AGP= Up one decimal
DDR= Up one decimal

To active the 1/5 divider you must set the FSB to 153, reboot and go directly back into the bios and set to 166. When ever you power down, you will need to do the same. I recommend sleep mode.

This will give you some slack and you can fine tune until it is no longer stable, then simply adjust the setting so it is back stable.

As soon as Hood responds, you will know what's up. The problem is that the chipset supports the 1/5 but the current bios doesn't... So I belive you are screwed?

Drk Hydrogen
As Compman says except try using from 148 up if the 153 doent work.
Hood
EDIT
Sorry that should read comptech69:eek:

Yep its me unfortunately.
Thats why I said Compman by mistake was used to seeing that name on AMDMB and when I saw it again in your address in a Modde F12 post it must have stuck in my mind.
Hood

Hi Guys,

This question is aimed mainly at Hood and Comptech but obviously any one else can answer it :D

I have just about grasped the idea of the 1/5th divider but to be honest I dont want to have to go through the process of putting the machine into standby or keep rebooting to get the correct multiplier.
I noticed last night whilst surfing that the F12 bios is out now and was wondering if this has been addressed in this?I have also seen the modified bios that Comptech has offered is there any benefit to using these?If they are modified can they not be modded to boot with the 1/5th divider?
Apologies if this is a dumb question but I learnt along time ago that its better to ask questions and get some anwsers even if you think you might look a fool :)

Serious respect to you guys as your depth of knowledge is amazing.

Oh yeah one more question will I have to unlock my XP2200 if I go down the above route?Is it easy?

Thanks

J

Johnson
Its the only way to learn.
Unfortunately F12 doesnt help with the 1/5 and having to go through the routine, and the modded is of no help either:( It just unhides Gigabytes hidden options (Unless Compman has done somthing different from normal) and none of them are for the 1/5
:(
Yes you will have to unlock and YES its very easy especially on the T/Breds, all you have to do is join the last(5th) of the L3 bridges and you are in business. Also once unlocked divide the CPU speed by 166 and this will give you a starting point for setting the dividers on the mobo, for the 2200 it will be about 11x
Hood

Yep, it is all gigabyte on this one. The motherbaord is more than capable to run the 1/5 divider, but yet they choose to ignor it when making the bios.

All I do to the bios is what hood mentioned above.

Hood,

you said that the t-breds need the last L3 to be connected for the 166 bus multipliers, is there a similar condition necessary for the XP palaminos? i have been having trouble getting the mobo to post with the bus at 166Mhz (using the steps indicated above by comptech69, thanks for the bios btw) and the lower multipliers. 166 x 10 and nothing comes of it (this should be stock for the 1900+, right?). other multis on 166 (higher and lower) and again nothing.

maybe Vcore is the issue, its just that upping it too much makes me a little nervous. is this newbie paranoia? i have it stable at 140x12.5 right now and no voltage increase.

Drk Hydrogen
What I was actually meaning with the T/Breds was to be able to use the multipliers you have to join the L3 BRIDGE,I had to do this on my 2100 Palomino cause they are similar to the T/Breds, but on 2000 down you only have to join the L1's. If you are able to set the multi's and get the POST reading the correct MHz you have unlocked succesfully.
The only thing I can think of is to disable SPD ,and using CTRL+F1 to get the extra timings, set them all to their least aggressive(2.5,3,3,7,2T). Also did you try just going to 148first then 166 rather than 153/166. Another thing is your temps are awsome so dont worry about them. Also what BIOS are you using ?
Hood

A few pointers,

I have found in my experiance that in certain situations that the F11 is the most stable. Also to clarify the Vcore question, I have found that upping the Vcore does not shorten the life of the capacitors like the common rumor suggests during the time abit was having all their problems. Here's why, a motherboard is designed for future processors, thus the board must be designed to meet the processors current draw specs, and we all know that the faster the processor the more watts they consume if based on the same technology. Granted the t-breds use less current than the Palominos.

The more "current" flows through the circuit the more strain it puts on the caps. So upping the Vcore does not increase the "current flow". In my experiments, overclocking in general does harm components if they are cooled correctly. The CPU take the most beating.

im using the modded F12 bios. i havent had a chance to use the F11 yet, ill give that a shot. correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the amphers increase with increases in volts given an impedence thats constant in a DC circuit? this would imply an overall increase in the time rate of change of electrial charge across the circuit and/or electrical components yielding a higher rate of wear and tear. perhaps this is negligable in our case with an increase of just a few tenths of a volt. thanks again.

Im not 100% sure, but I will find out form a friend that is an electronics engineer. What I do know is in basic circuits such as in a house, as you increase your voltage, you decrease the amps, like a teeder-totter effect. A window A/C unit for example will pull more amps than a 220v unit.

I may be completly wrong but I will check out for you. I have heard 50/50 arguments on overclocking effects.

V=I*R ; more V means more I as the R is constant . As P=V*I =V2/R , be aware that the power dissipated grows with the square of the voltage , hence the proper cooling needed ...
So yes , increasing the voltage means increasing the current flow .

It's very basic , but it is applicable to everything where electrons are moving...:)

cheers

Last edited:
Back