• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is my RDRAM 32ns?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johnny Knoxville

Disabled
I have KINGSTON 512MB (2X256MB) PC1066 RDRAM
model: KVR1066x16-8/256
KINGSTON ValueRam

i'm selling them and someone wants to know if they're 32ns, does anyone know if these are 32ns?

Id almost guarantee you they arent. Kingston Value Ram does not have a working model of pc1066 RDRAM. The 1066 is the only 32ns rdram.

Instead, Kingston Value Ram is the #1 company who has been ripping people off by selling them relabeled pc800 40ns ram and labeling it pc1066. The 800 will run at 1066 speeds, but it stresses the memory of course. Regardless it is not true pc1066. Ive run into quite a bit of this with my computer sales business. Eventually I found out the truth and ditched kingston completely.

FYI, the ONLY company actively producing true PC1066 32ns RDRAM is samsung. Even the Corsair rdram modules are manufactured by samsung. So keep your eyes out, if you are paying pc1066 prices for your ram and it isnt Samsung, 99.9% chance someone is ripping you off.

to the best of my knowledge almost all the namebrand rdram is 32ns.the only 35ns sticks were the early engineering samples put out by samsumg a while back. when pc 1066 first came out i bought some samsung for almost 1/2 what everyone else was asking. When it was delivered i emailed samsung with the serial nos. they told me the reason why i got the 1066 for so cheap was that it was an early 35ns engineering sample. however with a vmem mod i am able clock this particular rdram up to about 1280,although i havent tested it for stability yet.

Johnny Knoxville said:

that's wrong kingston do make 32ns RDRAM

Show me where dude? Give me some hard evidence. Cuz I build computers for a living, and I have ordered like 8 sticks of that Value Ram that was "supposed" to be pc1066, only to find out that every single one of them was relabeled pc800. Then after doing my homework, I found out that Samsung is the ONLY company actively producing pc1066. Its safe to say if you have kingston, its not pc1066. Trust me on this one. I would love to be wrong, if I am, prove it. But this has been my experience. I have not found 1 true stick of kingston pc1066, not 1.

Pc800 40ns has absolutely no problems running at pc1066 speeds. Hence why they are getting away with relabeling this stuff pc1066. Most people running it, dont even know that they paid $50-$60 too much for their 256mb stick of ram.

Samsung offers a feature on their site that when you buy their ram, you can enter the serial number into their site, and it will tell you EXACTLY what kind of ram it is. This was added to help prevent Samsung customers from falling victim to memory relabelers.

It should say right on the side what NS rating the ram is. Take a look. If its a sticker, dont believe what you read.

32ns = pc1066
40ns= pc800
45nx = old pc800

The very latest Kingston stock is Samsung-sourced and have an .A00 part number (same as the early Toshiba-sourced sticks). So it can get confusing. But I am willing to bet these Samsung-sources sticks are indeed 32-ns. If you get the 16-bit PC-1066 sticks direct from Samsung, they will definitely have some sort of 32-ns spec on the label, plus manufacture date, e.g. 0245.

I got some replacement Kingston PC-1066 (16-bit) three weeks ago. The Samsung website is imprinted on the heat spreader and the PCB is by Samsung. They do PC1248 (156/4x) on my P4T-E. I am running 2-256 MB sticks. So yeah, I think they are the latest 32-ns Samsung stuff.

HOWEVER, I think your Kingston sticks are the early Toshiba-sourced ones (A00 or A01), and I'm not sure about the Toshibas.

Mushkin used to carry that type of Kingston ValueRAM initially, when there was nothing better to be had. It is most likely 35ns, not 32.
If you want to be more certain, I'd suggest looking at the markings on the sticks, quite often they show the info you need... albeit *beneath* the sticker sometimes.

Some additional notes:

PC800 comes in both 45 and 40ns, and PC1066 in 35 and 32ns. The lower latency figure is always to be preferred. Samsung makes 35ns modules too, contrary to popular belief- these are often easily spotted by their -CM9 tag.

Back