• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A Question of Noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brownphoto

Disabled
Just outside of Bosotn, Massachusetts, USA
Hello All -

Once again, I turn to the experts for assistance! - I am running an Athon 2000 Xp OC'ed a little bit, and on it I have an 8045 HS with an 80mm Delta fan on it. Yes, the noise is overwhelming - I can hear this rig upstairs even with the side cover on! One good thing, is my cpu temperature stays around 30C.

My question is this: If I go to a fan that is quieter a) what is your recommendation for a fan, and b) what is the upper limit as far as CPU temperatures go?

Thank you very much!

Joe Brown

A Volcano 7+ on med speed isnt very loud and should cool it pretty well. The setup in my sig with totally stable at that OC with the fan on med, just hotter. Plus it looks good. :D

my 2 cents.

get a mechatronics 53cfm fan or Sunon 50+cfm, they would do the job (expect a little increase in temp tho) and fairly more ear-friendly than Delta

that's the exact reason i switched to watercooling. Once I saw how quiet my computer could be, there was no turning back.

But if you've decided to stick with aircooling for a while, you could also try a large fan, like 92mm, and make/buy an adapter to attach it to your heatsink.

Honestly, get a Zalman. It is without a doubt the quietest HSF I've ever come across, and I couldn't be happier. I run an XP1600+ at ~115F in "Silent mode", and with 2 7volt panaflos & a panaflo in the PSU...well, you can tell it's running, but not by much: http://www.sharkacorp.com/cgi-bin/TLSstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=cnps6000cu

the 6000 is what I use, and mine's a year old or so. Ever since Sharka took over, they havn't been developing very many AMD related HSFs.

Your HS (or really any HSs with huge fans on them), is designed to run with that huge fan. Putting a slower, quieter fan on MOST sinks will result in much too high temps (I wouldn't do it, if I were you).

30* is a great temp, but even if it gets up to 45 or 50, it's just so much better to use a quiet computer. The noise makes you tired, makes you deaf, and is really unpleasant. Trust me on this one, you'll be glad you forked over them $.

oh, you may also want to look into pax.mate sound absorbation mat...it's something, but not miricle stuff.

Back