• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Klipsch vs Altec Lansing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KiKaL

Is the klipsch 5.1 speakers really worth thed $350 price tag?
Or would something like Altec Lansing ADA885 THX Certified Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound System: $134 be pretty close in sound? Also is spending the extra cash on a Augidy platnum that much better then a gamer? When all I want the sound of is Comp games?

I have those altecs (mine are 4.1 and I believe that is the only way they were sold, not 5.1) and I think they are the best sounding speakers I have heard anywhere, I highly reccomend them. Plus they come with a cool remote and are THX certified. I use them with a turtle beach santa cruz but your sound card shouldnt matter as long as it has digital out. The ADA 885s have a digital decoder built into the subwoofer so all your sound card does is pass the digital signal to the decoder, the sound card doesnt decode the sound so it shouldnt affect quality.

They are amazing for dolby digital 4.1 DVD playback and surround gaming and music sounds excellent through them. Although I dont have the klipsch speakers to compare to the altecs I can say that these are literally the best speakers I've heard and there simply can't be better speakers, maybe equally good but not better.

The only drawback is that these speakers are only 120W total (15W speakers x4 and 60W sub (btw if you didnt know the sub is made of metal, not wood)) but they are still quite loud, I'd say equivalent to most 200-250W systems I have heard.

I heard the kplish speakers have stands. Which I could really usebecause I have nothing behind my comp desk to put the rear satalites on. So if they had stands I would be set.

The only difference between the Platinum and Gamer cards is the out box. They use the same card. But there is the Audigy 2....true 24bit 96khz, with a little better S/N.

Since i have the Klipsch 2.1 system, i can't give you an unbiased opinion on the Altecs.

Sound is a really subjective thing. If you're able to head to the store to listen to the speakers first, that will help you greatly. That being said, it's hard for me to imagine a set of $134 Altecs outperforming $350 Klipsch speakers not only because of the price difference, but because of the general reputation Klipsch has among most PC Audiophiles.

One thing I'm fairly certain of though, most likely the Altecs won't have the wattage that the Klipschs do (price difference aside, I'm fairly certain the Klipsch speakers have one of the highest, if not the highest wattage rating for computer speakers). So from a pure chest thumping; rattle the walls; wake your neighbors who live 10 stories above you aspect; the Klipschs will probably outperform the Altecs by quite a large margin.

The Klipsch 5.1s have a 200W woofer and 5x60W satellites for a total of 500W. I really don't think the Altecs would be nearly as good, but they might be good enough for you. It depends on what kind of sound you want to pay for. At low volume, they both are probably about as good, but the more you crank the volume, the better the Klipschs will sound compared to the Altecs.

I currently have the Klipsch v2.400s, basically the 4.1s with an older preamp. They're a 400W system (160W woofer and 4x60W sats) and they stay crisp and clear beyond half volume, but I can't be too close when they're that high or I'd go deaf. I'd only change speakers if I were to get the Klipsch 5.1s.

I would strongly recommend the Klipsch 5.1s unless money is a real issue. If you can afford them, you will be very happy with them. Oh, and their stands are not very tall (1.5", maybe), but you can get taller adjustable stands (28-48") for them from the Klipsch web site, but they are a bit pricey @ $89.99/pair.

Ive been doing some searching and although you never mentioned the model of the klipschs you are looking at every review I read says the altecs have equal or better sound quality. But no the altecs dont have speaker stands although you can pop the rear speakers on top of the front ones (lego style) and just set up the rears when you want 4.1... although that would be a hassle.

first review

second review

third review

fourth review

opinions in a forum (read 12+down)

I would go for the Klipsch because they are known for good quality. But if you are on a tight budget and aren't a real audiophile then just go with the Altec Lansing.

from what I have been reading the AL speaker set will provide you with hours of audio enjoyment and also save you over $200 bones.

cisco kid

btw, if you end up getting the Klipsch, replace the wires immediately as they are quite ****ty :mad: . You'd think with speakers that expensive, they'd at least give you some decent speaker wire.

Hmmm still not sure what to go with. I want to get the klipsch do to I know there sound quality would end up being better when they are up louder....for bragging rights : P....but then...am I really going to have my speakers loud enough to where the klipsch would be the better choice? And the other thing is...if I get the klipsch...that'll probably be all I get for christmas from my mom...though my parents are divorced so I still have my dad,stepmom and his side of the family.

KiKaL said:
Hmmm still not sure what to go with. I want to get the klipsch do to I know there sound quality would end up being better when they are up louder....for bragging rights : P....but then...am I really going to have my speakers loud enough to where the klipsch would be the better choice? And the other thing is...if I get the klipsch...that'll probably be all I get for christmas from my mom...though my parents are divorced so I still have my dad,stepmom and his side of the family.

You might also wanna take a look at the Logitech Z-680s. 5.1 Speakers, 450 Watts RMS :eek: , THX approved, Dolby, blah blah blah ;). According to some, these are the apparent Klipsch Killers and the next computer speaker king to take the throne. I haven't heard them myself yet though.

They're priced about the same as the Klipsch 5.1s.

Last edited:
Well looks like im going to get the Klipschs. There isnt anything else I want for christmas so might as well. Also the Altec Lansings look really bad IMO and I cant have that : P. I think I will get the audigy gamer do to that being cheaper so my mom doesnt not spending to much on me. Or would I be bottlenecking my sound with that? Now I just got to figure out how im gonna set up the rear satalites. Oh thanks a TON for all the help. You all have really helped me.

might as well throw in my support for the klipsch...i'd been wanting the 4.1's forever because a couple of my friends have them but i could never afford them....

then i found them on sale at circuit city for $200 and i HAD to get them...booya now my room is like a club. w00t! superior sound quality, killer bass, and it doesn't get fuzzy as higher volumes.

good choice on the klipsch's bro.

jeff

KiKaL said:
Well looks like im going to get the Klipschs. There isnt anything else I want for christmas so might as well. Also the Altec Lansings look really bad IMO and I cant have that : P. I think I will get the audigy gamer do to that being cheaper so my mom doesnt not spending to much on me. Or would I be bottlenecking my sound with that? Now I just got to figure out how im gonna set up the rear satalites. Oh thanks a TON for all the help. You all have really helped me.

The only difference between the platinum and the gamer is the software bundle and the breakout box that has all those connections (comes with the Platinum). Sound quality-wise, the two are identical.

Hey I got one more question for all of you who have 4.1 or 5.1 ot maybe even 6.1. Could you put your front satalites on your comp desk then put the rear satalites like 8-10ft away on your backwall? would that work?

Ideally, no. You wouldnt get the same effect. All speakers should be as close to head level as possible (the level your head is at when you are sitting down using the computer). The 2/3 fronts should all be facing you, in front of you. The 2 rears should be beside you, facing you (and facing each other) not behind you. That is according to THX specs. in 6/7.1 speaker set ups there are 2 speakers that go behind you as well.

If you have adobe acrobat installed (or some kind of .pdf viewer) you can read about speker placement and stuff here.

I have the 4.1 klipsch which i think rock. i have heard the altec's and they do not even come close. If you are looking for the best you should get the logitech z-680s. Budget may warrant 4.1 klipsh at 200 bucks or logitech z-560 at the low 100's.n Either of those two still blow the altec away in quality sound

Back