• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Website Making: Getting rid of the horizontal scroll bar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luie

How do one getting rid of the horizontal scroll bar?
If it can't be done, then, how to get rid of all the scroll bars?

If I understand you correctly the horizontal scroll bar is caused by creating the site using a high res and then viewing it on a lower res moniter.... basically if you create a site using 1024 by 768 resolution and then view it on a 800 by 600 screen the scroll bars will appear... I hope this helps...

Is there anyway to have no horizontal or all scroll bar even if the page is created for a bigger resolution that is to be viewed by a lower resolution?

CrystalMethod said:
As far as I know you can only do this when using frames, but not tables.

What you need to do is design your site FOR 640 x 480, but use tables with sizes in percentages. This will allow your page to stretch and adjust to different resolutions without drastically effecting your layout. By using percentages you'll need to anticipate the stretch since it will reformat your text.

If you need any help I'm available. I'm a huge HTML junky.

Oh~ percentages. Ok, I'll try it in the coming weekend. (so much reading assignments from school...)

Thanks.:)

Also to get rid of any scroll bars add to body

Scroll="No"

Design for 1024 x 768, in my opinion, good bye 800 x 600 and below users, the majority of users use 1024 x 768 anyways. I wont design sites for 800 x 600 if it means sacrificing a design. If ppl keep designing for such small resolutions, then no one is forced to upgrade and stay current.

When i can i make most of my sites in a predefined window about 700 - 900 wide depending on layout. That way dimensions stay put on everyones computer.

subconcept said:
Design for 1024 x 768, in my opinion, good bye 800 x 600 and below users, the majority of users use 1024 x 768 anyways. I wont design sites for 800 x 600 if it means sacrificing a design. If ppl keep designing for such small resolutions, then no one is forced to upgrade and stay current.

I disagree since most of the people I know prefer to stay at 800x600 because it's easier on their eyes.
That and I use alot of cascaded windows. I almost NEVER use the full screen or F11 display setup.

And you have to keep in mind that the actual space on the page need to be scalable starting at 600 x 420.
The design will be an instant hit with me if it fits any resolution.

I agree with Captain Slug, be nice to lower resolution users. Back when I ran at 800x600, if I encountered a page that required me to scroll horizontally to read the text, I left. I think most people would do the same, as it becomes very irritating scrolling back and forth for every line read.

Also, if you designing a web page, why exactly would you want to force people to upgrade or remind them that their hardware is not cutting edge? Most likely, they are either already aware, or don't care.

Yes! Waho~ Yeah! Exactly what I am looking for.
Thank you very much, subconcept. :D

About my site: I am actually making a page that is viewable in 800*600 or up. I just wanted to know the no scroll bar because I am trying out some ad-less technique. (Is that illegal?) I hope not. =P Banner ads are very annoying so I am trying some ways to get rid of it. I sucessed but the problem was the scroll bars.

Now, I am figuring a way to get rid of ads of free guestbooks, messageboards, etc.

PS I agree with both 1024*786 or 800*600. I don't really care. =P lol. btw, all ppl I know in HK uses 1024*768 or up. In US, it's half-half. hmmm...Probably ppl in HK are more interested in PCs and want better monitors for their eyes? (assuming LCD monitors that uses 800*600 is extremly rare)

NP dude.

Im not trying to argue I just think that if ppl keep being nice to the ppl with old school monitors then whats to motivate someone to upgrade. It was kioken and joshua davis ( my fav designer @ praystation.com guy is a genius ) that gave me the idea on a cnn story on kioken. They talked about pushing the envelope and just designing high performance websites. I thought about it and totaly agreed and saw where they were coming from. the interview also quoted them having a company under 50 ppl making approx 12 mill off 3 major clients, i guess its working :p

Luie said:
About my site: I am actually making a page that is viewable in 800*600 or up. I just wanted to know the no scroll bar because I am trying out some ad-less technique. (Is that illegal?) I hope not. =P Banner ads are very annoying so I am trying some ways to get rid of it. I sucessed but the problem was the scroll bars.

Are these ads inserted by the company that hosts your site? If so, they might not be too happy if that discover that the ads are not visible.

Back