• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My PSU is making a whinning noise... uh oh

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KfistoRok

It's an Antec dual fan 350 watts. 320 actual watts I think.

It make a whinning noise for no reason that I am aware of. The whine comes and goes. Like on for a couple seconds then off for several. Kinda like one of the fans is spinning up real fast or something. I really don't know. :rolleyes: It has been doing this for a few days.

Also, I did try this fan upside down and it helped my temps go down slightly, b/c the intake fan of the psu was positioned right above the heatsink.

Is that a bad thing to do? I wouldn't suppose it would matter. It says its a top fan, but mounting it upside down would not hurt anything would it?

Wait a minute. If I'm reading this correctly you originally had the botton fan of the psu facing the roof of the case? If so, the correct position for the psu is with the botton intake fan facing the bottom of the case.

Well I thought it was supposed to go on the top since on the psu box it said top intake fan. My reasoning was that it sucks in and pushes out the air in the top of the case. That is theoretically where the hottest air is supposed to be correct?

OK silly me. What a nooB I am.

Read up about my psu and it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. The fans are regulated by temp. So the noises I'm hearing are not a defect. :rolleyes:

hmm thats very strange, Im getting this VERY high pitched noise coming from my Antec 400 watt psu. I didnt do anything to the Unit but plug it in. I just ordered a Tru 420 watt psu so hopefully it will fix this annoying noise.

ReconSniper said:
hmm thats very strange, Im getting this VERY high pitched noise coming from my Antec 400 watt psu. I didnt do anything to the Unit but plug it in. I just ordered a Tru 420 watt psu so hopefully it will fix this annoying noise.

Here's a link to a thread that discusses the tendency for power supplies to emit very high frequency noises. It deals with high pitch noises due to changing load, but is also applicable to high pitched noises that are constant.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125891

Back