• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice on Kingston PC2700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Muggy

I need input from people using PC2700 memory from Kingston and/or Samsung. They're both in my price range and I'm needing a 512MB stick to replace my 256MB Samsung stick. I'll most likely order from Googlegear because I've had really good luck with them and they've got about the best price. Anyway, I'd like to know what everyone recommends.

I'm currently running at 373Mhz (DDR) with timings at 2-6-3-3. VDIMM is at 2.8 (MBM shows a max of 2.78). My module is double density so it should be about the same as running two single density dimms (sort of). It's a P4 board so Bank interleave and some other memory settings aren't applicable. I'd certainly like to replace this with a module that'll do at least this well.

My experience is that the new Kingston Value RAM PC2700 is all you could ask for. I gather from your sig you are running an 845g chipset at roughly 140MHz fsb with the 4:5 multiplier engaged. What happens if you try 3:4? (edit: I see know you've got the 3:4 working). My Samsung would not tolerate the 3:4 setting, so it had to go. Since my (845e) only offers 1:1 and 3:4 running the Samsung forced 1:1 operation which results in a mere 324MHz from my 162FSB. I popped in a stick of the VR2700 and 3:4 worked like a champ. What was 324MHz became 432, and this really helps the system's performance. Chips like your P4 running at 2.5GHz are somewhat limited by the throughput of single channel PC2700 memory subystems, so getting on the 3:4 pays pretty nice dividends.

At one time CTL Samsug PC2700 was the hot setup. Nowdays it is all DTL type which doesn't exceed 400MHz like the old stuff did. I have personally tried 2 VR2700 sticks one does 429MHz on the ram, the other 432. People have posted similar experiences on the board, and Maxvla bought a 512MB VR2700 on my advice and his runs at 436MHz. All this with cas 2 and only 2.7V. It looks like a lock for 845 systems that the ValueRam 2700 is awesome, cheap, and carries a lifetime warranty. Hard to recommend anything else at this point, unless more than 430MHz is needed. which you don't as your CPU would not handle that much clock (160+ fsb). I look to combine my proven 160fsb 3:4 setup with a C1 2.0a when they become common, for a 3.2GHz barn burner on the cheap.

Looks like I'll have to update my sig. I didn't realize it was still showing the 4:5 ratio and the lower speed. I'm currently at 3:4 and 373 Mhz for my memory.

Signature updated. The old settings were:
354Mhz with 2-5-3-2 timings

New is:
373Mhz with 2-6-3-3 (which is in my sig now)

Muggy said:

Yeah, read one of your threads earlier. I'm impressed! Where did you order yours from?
newegg but you can get it cheaper from googlegear.com (140.50 2nd day shipped)

Maxvla said:

newegg but you can get it cheaper from googlegear.com (140.50 2nd day shipped)
At this point, that's where I'll get it from. I got my Samsung there as well. Now, if I can just find someone who needs some fairly good Samsung 256MB memory...

Oh, by the way, who is the AZN girl in your avatar? She's quite stunning...

Muggy said:

At this point, that's where I'll get it from. I got my Samsung there as well. Now, if I can just find someone who needs some fairly good Samsung 256MB memory...

Oh, by the way, who is the AZN girl in your avatar? She's quite stunning...
sell it on ebay. you will get alot more than you will here.

i'm selling my mushkin on ebay and its up to 50 bucks with like 3 days left.

i bought it for 80 bucks in july 02 now it sells at the same place (newegg) for 98 bucks.

i figure the auction will end up around 90 bucks or so.
[color=333333]...............................[/color]|
see sig for avatar info [color=333333].[/color]V

Yo Muggy~!

I just bought two sticks of Corsair PC 3500 256mb from google gear.... and my previous purchase with googlegear was two sticks of 512mb kingston pc 2700 value RAM total of US$ 285. It was for my co-worker and he is very happy with 1 gig of RAM. He does OC at all so I wouldn't know how well it will perform... but... at stock speed it is super stable

he is running AMD 1600+ on MSI KT400 ultra.

Thanks for your input guys! I should be purchasing some soon after everything I've read. Just need to sell off some things and I'm set!

Chime! I have Kingston VR2700 and it runs like a champ. Now that Kingston has Xtreme RAM I'd check that out too.

Back