• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ Tbred A. Damnit.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lithan

Disabled
Well. I ordered my Tbred A thinking that the 1700+ and 1800+ were the same except default settings. I guess I was wrong. I had hoped to get 166x11 @ 1.50v (default everything but fsb, 25% overclock). No dice. I can post, but Crash if I try to enter bios. 166x10.5 @ 1.50v? Nope. Crash loading windows. 166x10@166? Looks like I got it. Ran half an hour of Prime 95 and it was solid, Going for an overnight burnin now. Frankly, in my opinion, This sucks. 13.64% overclock. Maybe Tbreds eat up voltage... But I wanted to get a nice oc at default not 2ghz at 2+volts. And 13% for a Auiga week 36, looks like **** to me. My 1800+ Agoia week 4 could do 166x10.5 @ default voltage, and ran cooler. Oh well... for 65$ I got 1666 which is what, a 2000+? And its faster because the fsb is 166. I guess I can't complain. I wish I had read all the stuff about 1800+'s first. I would have dropped an extra $10 easy if I could have had [email protected] Just for the fact that all I did was push the fsb up. That was my goal and I didn't attain it. Damnit. Maybe I'll buy another kx7-333 refurb and an 1800+ tbreda (125$ Im guessing) and try again when I have the cash. Being poor sucks.

I'm curious as to what folks with a tbred a (any speed) are getting for max mhz at default voltage. Just to know whether it would be worth my time to up the voltage.

Last edited:
sorry bout the bad luck
I think a 1600 at $52 could have done that much.

I dont have one of these, but I really cant see the harm in upping the voltage a bit. Dont go all out- just see what it does and decide based on that.

Yeah I probably will eventually. Once I'm completely confident that Its rock solid at this speed. The thing is this. My memory is pc2100 and probably wont take much more fsb (I know one stick can do 170 or more, the other has not been pushed past 166 (at least not by me). So I doubt I can get more fsb. And frankly, raising the voltage for a multiplier increase isn't worth it for me. The whole reason im dissappointed with the chip isn't specifically that I "only" got 1666, It's that I had wanted to get 166fsb at default multi and voltage. That was my goal, the actual performance gain was of secondary importance to achieving that.
But like I said. I'll probably try pushing it, just to see what It can do, for the hell of it.

Doe's burning in really do enough to get you an extra 166 mhz? I always figured it was just superstition. I mean, technically, what does it accomplish?

im not really sure what it accomplishes..but it works..burning in let me get my xp1600 to 2ghz stable...so id say it works..since it took me a few weeks of burning in at 1.92ghz to get there, and i tried 2ghz every day of those few weeks...but it finally worked..then i had to go and try to unlock,and its screwed now..i just need to get de-lazified and do a full unlock on this bad boy

edit, this is also my 2200th post

Your voltage is too low. Not the chip's fault. Just raise the volts.

It seems like 1.75v is the magic number here.

RangerJoe said:
im not really sure what it accomplishes..but it works..burning in let me get my xp1600 to 2ghz stable...so id say it works..since it took me a few weeks of burning in at 1.92ghz to get there, and i tried 2ghz every day of those few weeks...but it finally worked..then i had to go and try to unlock,and its screwed now..i just need to get de-lazified and do a full unlock on this bad boy

edit, this is also my 2200th post

so, how did you burn it in, exactly? i ran different apps, sometimes prime95, but mostly folding, but it was that, and my slk-800 that got me to 2 gig's, without a B.S.O.D.....

i did a lot of full load stuff, but i really didn't know how to burn in. i tried to get some info here on the forums, and i did get some info, but it seems some people do it differently. one idea i heard of a lot, was stock speed, high voltage, and full load...

i dunno really, but i do know my chip hit 1901 the day i bought it, and does 2 gig now

:D

Mine will do 1826 with 1.70. Won't hit 1909 even at 1.75 (highest my motherboard will go {without a vmod Im assuming}).

most of the burn in time was prime..i didnt do it all the time, but while i was at school, id leave it on and stuff like that, but you can either do prime for a day straight..or just do normal stuff for a week or so..same effect

Lithan said:
I'm curious as to what folks with a tbred a (any speed) are getting for max mhz at default voltage. Just to know whether it would be worth my time to up the voltage.

I think it's worth it if you have good cooling. I got mine up to 2017 with 1.87v. (on air) Worth every penny of $58.

I think that you should consider 1.65v to be the default voltage, since that's what it is on the 2200+. That'll likely give you quite a few more MHz.

My 1700+ Tbred doesn't get far at 1.5v. Right now it's at 1.75GHz with the vcore at 1.725v. It's a RIWGA week 32 though, their overclocking results have been up and down it seems. Your stepping has generally been better.

Been burning in at 1826 @ 1.70 for about 13 hours now on prime 95 100% load.Gonna keep it up either until tomorrow morning or tonight when I take it to my friends for some lanning. (Depends on if I go.)

Then I'll see if I can hit 1909.

Burning it in..

Forces more votage through the CPU pathways, and burns them out bigger so that more voltage can be fed to the cpu (more of whats supposed to get to it, that is) and this often allows for much increased stability at higher speeds..

So essentially you are raising the voltage without actually changing any settings. Ok, thanks OC.

Well I burned in for 20hrs or so ([email protected] for 3 hrs, crashed, 1.700 for 17 hrs)

Before I was stable at [email protected] and Not stable at [email protected] I didnt try any fsb other than 166
I STILL can't hit [email protected], but messing with FSB I am currently 171x11 (1881mhz) @1.75. So I can't say for certain if the burnin gained me anything. But if it did, only a couple dozen mhz. If this is stable I'll burn in at this speed for today and saturday, then try again.

I'd drop my multi again and give it more FSB, but my ram can't take 175 (without more voltage and I don't want to overvolt it)...Seeing right now if it will do 171.

Edit: oh and btw I still can't load windows at 10.5x [email protected] either. Damn.

Edit again. It wont do 171x11, 170x11, 169x11, 168x11. Trying 167x11 now. IF and thats IF this works. a 20hr burnin will potentially have gained me 11mhz. Thats IF it couldnt have done it before (I didnt try).

Guess what... Just got an error. Yay. I can't do 11x167. 11x166 was the MAX I could do. LoL.

Last edited:
Cannot do a SINGLE MHZ more than I was doing before. I Went to 174x10.5 and my ram was stable... but the cpu crashed after an hour or so. 1826 is the absolute maximum this chip will do at 1.75v or less. (37*insocket at fullload (therm is touching cpu back.))

well, give the ram more voltage if you think the ram is limited by volyage, and also, some people reset memory settings to default, or less agressive, if you are running ram faster than spec. if your ram is running at stock settings, give it more voltage, and feed more to the cpu as well.

are the temps that high on the t-breds at higher voltages?

i assumed they would handle the same voltage as a pally, but maybe i was wrong. i ran my xp1600 pally at 2.2 vcore, and no problem, well, a little more heat, but still not a problem.

i was thinking of getting one of the t-bred 1700's or 1800's, but i'm not sure now. and why is everyone overclocking by way of the multiplier, and not the fsb? do these chips not run well above 166 fsb?

do you guys usually run the 4th divider? or the 5th divider?

if these chips can do 166 @ 4th div, that would be real sweet. ;) :D

Your chip doesn't decide if you can run 166 at 1/4, your pci and agp devices do (and things hooked up to them, like hard disks) and your motherboard plays a role too, cpu is rather irrelivent.

DO NOT get the 1700+ Tbred. Pay the extra 10$ and get the 1800+ Everyone seems to be hitting 2ghz with those and decent cooling.

I was raising my multiplier because I doubted my ram could go much over 166-170. I would have prefered to raise the FSB. Performancewise I'd imagine these are no different than palaminos whatsoever. Tempwise and overclockability and voltage are the differences.

I wouldn't recommend putting more than a 20-25% voltage increase over default. That's 1.875 for these chips, 2.20volts into a palamino. But then again it's up to you. Some people go higher and some won't go that high. Personally, I go as high as I can go without a voltmod then stop. (1.75 in this instance)

I can't say the difference from a tbred and palimino to be fair. But here's what I know.

Same heatsink, same fan
Palimino 1800+ @ 1.8v 11.5multi, 150fsb, 1725mhz; 45*C full load ON DIE

Tbred 1700+ @ 1.7v 11multi, 166fsb, 1826mhz; 41*C full load IN SOCKET

UPDATE: By the way. I cranked all my case fans up, dropped 4*C off case temps and 3* off cpu. Raised ram voltage to 2.65, cpu to 1.725 And I've been stable for an hour or so @ 10.5x175. Im thinking temps might be holding me back... but I still think my chips max is around 1850.

Last edited:
Back