• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Red hat questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zmzhang

I recently got red hat 7.1 installed(KDE desktop). I have some questions:

1. How can i view other Fat 32 partitions?
2. How do i delete programs. It installed 3 web browsers and a bunch of other programs that i don't need.
3. I have a microsoft optical mouse with a scroll wheel. The wheel doesn't work. How do i fix that?

Thanks

Well, I can only answer the third question right now, cause I am not at my Linux box, and I am also beginner (I've been toying w/ linux for a while, but still use windows most the time).

Anyways, for the optical mouse (I have one too that didn't work), I just used the default (I believe it says generic 3 button in redhat) and it worked fine. If you have one of the mice w/ 5 buttons (that's the one I have) I don't think you can use the two side ones.

When I get home later on I'll see if I can help you with #1 if no one else beats me.

Good Luck:D

In order to mount a FAT32 parition, do this:
(as root)
mkdir /mnt/namehere
(creates the mount point)
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/namehere
cd /mnt/namehere
Replace hda1 with the name of your parition.

The browser are probably installed in the rpm format. As root, do:
rpm - packagename

In order to get your mouse working, do the following:
pico /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
change the line that says "Protocol" "PS/2" to "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Titan, i tried your stratagy and it doesn't work. It tells me:

Mount: Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too many mounted file systems.

What partition is the Fat32 under linux, ie. hda1, hda2, hdb1, etc...?

Like Titan said, you need to make sure that when you type "mount -t vfat /dev/hd** /mnt/mntname" that it points to the correct fat32 partition.

Drive naming convention under Linux:

First IDE controller, master drive = /dev/hda
First IDE controller, slave drive = /dev/hdb
Second IDE controller, master drive = /dev/hdc
Second IDE controller, slave drive = /dev/hdd

IIRC, even if you got no drive for, for example, /dev/hdb the naming convention still applies and the second ide master is still /dev/hdc.

For individual partitions, you add the a number to the end, e.g. /dev/hda1 is the first partition, /dev/hda2 is second, etc. This is also what you need to do when you are mounting a partition.

I haven't dealt with extended partitions so I don't know what happens with those.

I've noticed that with newer versions(?) of mount, you don't have to even do the '-t vfs' flag, it'll figure out the partition type on its own, even for NTFS. Might be different for you, though, depending on configuration or distribution you are using.

Also, look at /etc/fstab if you plan to use a FAT32 or other partition that isn't already mounted on a regular basis. Here you can add/remove which partitions are mounted during boot.

Mount can usually determine the type of partition, but I think its good pratice to include it. Can't hurt anyway.

I'd just like to remind you that FAT32 doesn't have permission information, so if you don't specify the permissions at mount time, the system will deny regular users. So, if you wanted to mount and give full permissions to a specific user, we'll call him foo, you would do:
mount -t vfat /dev/hd** /mnt/mounthere -o user=foo
where /dev/hd** is your partition, refer to what nil_esh said regarding the naming convention.

You can also specific the numeric user ID, or a group using 'gid.'

If you wanted to mount at boot time, you should add this to your /etc/fstab:
/dev/hd** /mnt/mounthere vfat options
In the options space, you can either say defaults, which is like mounting without the -o arguement and any additional arguemnets. If you want other options, just put them in the options space, seperate by a comma (but not a space!). And remember to leave a blank line at the end of your fstab.

Back