• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does unlocking mean

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

potasiumlegsman

Registered
hi im a newbie to overclocking and i was wondering what unlocking means.

Thanks, Evan

*Edit*

These links are no longer welcome here. They've become extremely tiresome.

LutaWicasa
Forums Moderator

*Edit*

unlocking a processor...allows you to gain access to the mutipliers

example: AMD XP1600+ is 1400Mhz(133MHz Frontside Bus * 10.5 Multiplier)

Palimino AMD chips were multiplier locked, so no matter what your mobo was, an amd 1600+ ran at 10.5 * 133 FSB = 1400 mhz. The 10.5 was fixed. Motherboards could do say a multi of 11, but for that you needed an xp1700.

Now, by "modifiying" some bridges on the palimino core, one could "unlock" the palimino. With most motherboards, and a modified / unlocked chip, you could select any multiplier you wanted. COOL. Read the stickies to see the exact modifications needed.

FSB = LIFE, meaning that your goal is to have the highest FSB possible. For most ocing, what you do is raise the FSB as high as possible, and LOWER your CPU multiplier. So a 10.5 * 133FSB = 1400 is not nearly as good as an 8.5 * 166 = 1400 mhz. Same mhz both times, but the 166 FSB is better.

So unlocked chips are cool.

YOU have a tbred. Tbreds come unlocked. BUT, they are new, and some older motherboards do not "see" all the multipliers for higher speed new tbreds (like the 2400). If you have an older motherboard, you can make it "see" the lower multis on a tbred by connecting the 5th L3 bridge. (again see sticky on how to do this)

MOST KT400 motherboards (epox, asus, abit do, MSI DOES NOT) all "see" all multipliers for the tbreds. Stick a tbred 2400 into these KT400, and you can select any multi your heart desires. COOL.

I do not know about the nforce boards. I ?think? they see all the multis on a tbred, someone else will need to confirm this.

See pinky's "tbred FAQ" in this forum for more cool details.

Good luck!

Back