• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

40 pins and 80 pins IDE cables?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CubicL

Hello all . :D

What's the difference between 40 pins and 80 pins cables?

Do I need one for my new HDD?
It's a SEAGATE 80GB Barracuda ATA-IV (ATA-100).

Thanks.

transfer rates above 33 mb/sec require the 80 pin cables. All new hard drives need 80 pin cables to get max transfer rate for sure.

So how do I tell the difference between them?
Do they look different?

can I use an old drive with the 80 pin cable cos my 2 HDD are on the same IDE channel.

40pin 40wire limits to ata33...so you will need a 40pin 80wire.

the difference could be difficult if you havent seen them next to each other to know the difference - one will be like your floppy connector with fairly fat wires - the other will have lots of thin ones...

you can use either cable on either hdd - the only drawback situation is obviously using the 40wire on an older drive

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ata-66_cables.htm

scroll down half that page and you will see a Flat EIDE connector, this you can see is 80wire - if it were 40 you would easily see the definitions of the individual wires

so, an 80 pin ide cable could run 66/100/133?? coz' I just got an OEM HD w/o cable included, and the only 80 pin ide cable I have is the one that I got from my old ata66 HD ..

Back