• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

second router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AltecXP

i have 2 computers conected to the internet threw a linksys router on the 1st floor of my house, and HAD only 1 on the 2nd floor, i have since added a 2nd computer to the 2nd flor and may be adding a 3rd, if i connect the net work cable that is currently rinning from floor 1 to floor 2 into the port in my linksys router to connect it to a second microsoft router on floor 2, and connect both pc's to the Ms router, will they be able to easily conect to the network an internet? floor 1 running win xp, and 98 2nd floor, xp and 2k - wireing is cat5)

yes, you can connect the routers together by.

-if they both have uplink ports you can connect them using a cat5 'crossover' cable.

-or if uplink port to regular port = you need a straight cable.

-or regular port to regular port = you need a crossover cable.

then just plug all the computers in to the routers using straight cable and you are ready to go

should be able to browse the internet just fine

NAS

Last edited:
Internet yes.
Network no.

What will happen is that you will have two completely seperate logical networks. The computers connected to router one will not be able to see the computers connected to router two. You will probably not be able to play network games and will have a tough time with network file sharing.

You will be MUCH better served by simply purchasing a hub or (preferably) a switch.

I also vote switch, it's cheaper, and will do everything you want it to do. (You don't need the router function of it for that scenario).

Back