• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Man the AMD reality check was a waste of time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

I left after an hour at the San Jose show. That dragged ***. Were any of you there? They mentioned Anandtech, Hardocp, and another site.

--Illah

same here, NY was a waste of time too, they just mentioned anandtech, i expected to atleast get a tshirt or cap, but the people of NYC are animals.

yep, it sucks big time, sounds more like a rally, nothing else, and then in the end there were two civilians that get to build stuff and they sucked at it, both got floppy error. And the biggest thing is I didn't even win anything, bullcrap. I thought it'd more informative than that.

Pretty much agreed. Went to the San Jose show. Food went fast, so I ended up in the bar for an hour. Argued with an AMD guy for awhile about the merits of RDRAM. And I picked up a 2400+ processor. They actually called my friends number, but he only went to increase my chances of getting a CPU. Now I have one and I'm not sure what to do with this thing. MB, PS, and memory are probably needed to make it viable in my 6 year old's PC.

Sell it on ebay.

Use the $180-200 to buy

Tbred 1800+ $69
Abit kxr333 refurb $40
sk-7 $20 +shipping
80mm adjustable fan $5 +shipping
L&C 450watt atx or Sparkle 300watt $30 +shipping
256megs pc2700 samsung $77

Newegg and SVC

You just got everything you need, and you can overclock it just as fast as that 2400+ would have been default. Isnt the life of an overclocker grand?

So for around 50-75$ your 6 year old has a damn good machine.

Yeah I was tempted to stay for a proc, but bored till 11:30 + long drive back to downtown S.F. + parking the car = screw that.

--Illah

I piped upwhen they mention [H]. Those people mentioned the same sites they did last time. He has probably never even visited them. I REALLY wish they would have guys who overclock run/plan the event.

I dont think I am gonna go to the next one. Its just not as fun as it could be.

just curious, did you guys also have the same australian guy?

here in seattle, it sucked ***.
it was like propaganda and everything times ten.
I like AMD, but even I admit, between intel and AMD it's a close call, and at this point still just depends on preferences (I perfer AMD so don't go there) but it's just, it feels dorky there, when you see, 30 kids barely in college screaming in a small circle about about how thier AMD is better then thier friends pentium 4, and going on and on with half truths and such...

in the end, you feel like your at a star trek convention.
and your just another 40 year old virgin who collects comic books and has a bootleg copy of the script to star wars episode 3.

when in reality, your life isn't that harsh. but you still walk away from it feeling like that nerdy 40 year old virgin.

the only thing that makes it worth it, is the slight chance you will get a free CPU.

I thought it was fine. I got a free t-shirt, got to meet some o/c people, and hang out with the geek crowd for a bit. Geez guys, what were you expecting?

chemmajik said:
So they didnt demo XP2800's on Nforce2 or Hammer running Win64bit or Mandrake?

Nothing. That's kinda what I wanted, all sorts of tech booths for me to look at in person rather than on some review sites.

And dude mentioning the geek crowd, I was disappointed. I wanted snarling, drooling Star Wars fans with plastic lightsabers battling fat dudes dressed up as Spock. Then I might have stayed longer, heheh... And really, some people were IN to that show. Cheering for your processor? I don't know man. I mean you know I'm a techie guy coming on this board and all, but some people get to far into this crap.

--Illah

This sounds pretty sad.

I don't scream, sing or dance at rock concerts, I doubt any AMD presentation is going to excite me enough to finally pull the 4 inches of underwear from the crack of my .... whatever...

*yawns in processor of choice's face*

I was there with two other people, both of which won a processor. I didn't win anything, but it was still pretty fun.

I would have liked to see more tech booths, and some chairs... standing the whole time was killing me. Had a nice discussion with an AMD guy also.

Yeah, within 30 seconds ALL the food was gone.

I went to the houston reality check- complete waste of time.
Some of the things that really bothered me:
The propiganda- It s one thing to extol the virtues of you processor, but this went way too far. Rather than give hard facts about why amd chips are a good choice, they instead went for smoke and mirrors. For example, when I was looking at one of the booths, one of the AMD moles came up to talk to me like a normal person. He nonchalontly commented about how the intel 2.6 was just floundering compared to the xp2600 on ut2003- the only problem was the 2.6 was on intel integrated grahpics- of course its thrashing!
Another thing they did was rig one of the intel machines to blue screen. Right after the AMD guy went up to the stage and talked about how intels were unstable, the rig blue screened. Coincidience? I think not.

The build a box contest was a joke. It was basically a test to see which guy could build a computer correctly. One of them didnt even plug in the power connector right :rolleyes:

Lousy. No wonder AMD is floundering when they use their $ for things like the reality check.

nealric said:

Lousy. No wonder AMD is floundering when they use their $ for things like the reality check.

Hey! Watch your language! ;)

I think flounders get a bad rap.

Seriously, gentlemen, you went to a FREE event sponsored by AMD. What did you expect? In Minneapolis they gave away many(40-50) free CPU's, and tons of tshirts, bags, and caps. Sure it was endorsing their product. Sure you heard the "propaganda". But why in the world would you expect otherwise?

As I see it, AMD simply does not have the funds to advertise on TV like Intel. They put on these events for enthusiasts to help promote the brand, and encourage those of us that have knowledge about computers to help offer AMD as an alternative.

Quite simply, I see nothing sad about it. In fact, I thought it was nice that AMD would come out and offer free stuff to its enthusiasts. It was put on for us, the geeks. I haven't heard of any similar Intel events.

flounder43 said:

Hey! Watch your language! ;)

I think flounders get a bad rap.

Seriously, gentlemen, you went to a FREE event sponsored by AMD. What did you expect? In Minneapolis they gave away many(40-50) free CPU's, and tons of tshirts, bags, and caps. Sure it was endorsing their product. Sure you heard the "propaganda". But why in the world would you expect otherwise?

As I see it, AMD simply does not have the funds to advertise on TV like Intel. They put on these events for enthusiasts to help promote the brand, and encourage those of us that have knowledge about computers to help offer AMD as an alternative.

Quite simply, I see nothing sad about it. In fact, I thought it was nice that AMD would come out and offer free stuff to its enthusiasts. It was put on for us, the geeks. I haven't heard of any similar Intel events.

[sheds small tear in corner of eye]

[rips tear into infinite sadness of evaporated smear]

Never had a chance! lol

Anyway, of course I wouldn't complain if I left with a new 2400+ or something, hell ya I'd be stoked, but some of the stuff being described here is pathetic.. I think blind devotion to any brand name is pathetic, which I'm hearing was in rampant supply at these shows.

I'd probably have left early too, had I gone, which I am now grateful I missed in Boston.

Bah, it was alright. I got a hat, so I'm frickin happy. that's all I wanted....an AMD hat. I dont have any good hats...now I do. w00t.

I was angry....I couldn't get to the VIP event cuz my bro and I went....and he wasnt a VIP....i didn't wanna be in there alone for 1.5 hours..hehe. I cant help but feeling that had I been at the VIP part, I woulda got a processor...eh, oh well. I'm going to the VIP part next time....if there is a next time.

Anyway, I was VERY disappointed with the game demos. But, I suppose that if they wanted to show AMD's superiority, they had to do integrated nForce graphics.....there's no way you could have seen a difference had they used REAL graphics cards. Oh yea, and someone messed up the controls on one of the JKII machines, lol...

Lol, and the computer contest was a joke. Talk about people who do a lot of reading, and no actual work. Heh, they guy that lost for some reason or another couldn't get all his power connectors in. The last I saw of it, the power supply cables were allllll messed up and stuff....looked like a mesh of cables in place of the case cover, hehe.

It was kinda fun....and yet kinda boring. I think most of the people there just wanted free crap.....

THE MEGAHERTZ MYTH!!! Lol....

reailty check

I represented for OC forums. Picked up a free 2400+ aiugb, free Tshirt, and free travel bag. Not bad for 2.5 hours on a friday night...

Back