• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed AX-7 heatsink and 80mm fan and CPU temp is much higher? Ack! Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JD

Just installed AX-7 heatsink and 80mm fan and CPU temp is much higher? Ack! Help!

Ok as recommended, I just bought and installed the AX-7 Thermalright heat sink and the 80mm fan.

But instead of my CPU tempreature going down from 53 degrees C on my Epox 8K3a+ MB, it has skyrocketed to 65 degrees now?

Did I install the heat sink wrongly? There were ZERO instructions on installing grrrrrrrrr

I stuck on the tape thingy to the square slot area of the heat sink base when installing it to the CPU chip. Is this wrong? The bloody thing is also so hard to release now after getting it hooked up bleh lol

Anyone has advice for a noob that just wants his comp to run cool on an AMD 2ghz cpu.

Much thanks.

JD

Oh and is there a way I can check the temp of the cpu other than the brief info when starting up the comp?

Thanks again.

JD

Tape thingy?

You used thermal tape?

bad move. That adds about 5 degrees over AS3

Not hard to install. Screw on the fan, apply some as3 to the core (very thinly), and stick it on then clip it.

No way you should get 65* unless your fan is like 10cfm. (you want at least 20-30cfm)

Thermal tape is actually not as bad as everybody makes it sound, but I would definately not use it on an expensive aftermarket heatsink.

So yes, take the sucker off and remove the tape. (you didn't leave the plastic cover on the tape right ?)

when you reinstall the sink, make sure that the heatsink itself only makes contact with the core of the cpu, and does not rest on the elevated part of the socket.

Did you clean the CPU nefore you applied the heatsink? Also as already been asked, the tape has a clear coat on it, did u remove it before installing the heatsink?
Clean the chip using Acetone, and do the same with the base of the heatsink and either get some AS3 on there or at least use the included thermal grease on it. Just spread an even thin layer on the chip core and put the heatsink back on.

Thanks guys.

Ok I took out the heat sink again and clean off the sticky tape (yes I did remove the clear tape on it first lol) thingy that came with it and put some thermal grease I bought.

Now the tempreature is 44 degrees celcius. And yes I am using an 80 mm fan.

This is about 10 degrees lower than my previous cooler/heatsink. I suppose this is good heh.

Thanks again.

Oh and one other thing.

Is there a software that I can download to monitor my cpu tempreature in stead of depending on the start up process only?

Thanks again!

JD

Yes, grab Motherboard Monitor here:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

I still recommend you get Arctic Silver 3. From what you're posting, those temperatures are idle and they are bound to hit 48-50 degrees when you load it up full load - 100% stress on the CPU.

Yodums

My guess is he's using a quiet/low cfm fan. While AS3 will probably get him a degree or two, I doubt it's gonna give him real good temps. Hell I hit 41 at full load and thats an in socket thermistor in a cool room. (Yeah I know, once winter ends I'm going to have to crank up my fan rpms or lower my overclock.)

But athlons run just fine at 50*C. Hell they usually run fine 60-70* C (That's what my buddy got with the stock cooler) though I wouldn't overclock at those temps. Unless he's willing to put up with some noise, I doubt he'll get his temp below 45* at load.

Back