• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 HD's: OS & Data - Optimal Configuration!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vtec96

2 HD's: OS & Data - Optimal Configuration???

Ok, I currently have a 60GB Seagate Barracudda IV 7200 HD. Its about full so i just got a WD 80GB 8MB Cache 7200 SE :cool:
Now I was thinking of using the Seagate for the OS and WD as the secondary drive for the data. Or would it be faster using the "faster" WD as the primary HD and the seagate as the secondary for data? I will only use a portion of the Seagate if i use it for the OS drive.

I plan to get another 80 GB SE drive in the near future and set up RAID0 with the seagate still as the OS drive :santa:

But for now, which is the most optimal way to arrange the drives I have? I am mostly on the net but d\l music\video files and do some recording\burning often.

Thanks,

Last edited:
i would use the wd for the os and using a small partition on the seagate would ghost a backup image of the os so when you add the second wd you could ghost it back to the raid setup without losing any time or data.i think a 160 gig raid 0 setup with 16 mb cache would be really,really fast with the os on a small c: partition.

with 220 gigs i would run out of drive letters.ha,ha.

Back