• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BX boards safe at 140mhz FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

advanR

Im looking at buying a bx133 off of ebay. Ive learned that this along with other bx mobos only has a 2/3 agp divider, no 1/2 divider. At any fsb spped over 100mhz the agp bus gets overclocked. Im looking to run it at around 140-145mhz. At this speed it would be at almost 95mhz(stock is 66mhz).

I dont want to damage the card at all. Is this safe for an ati 8500? I here that newer cards can handle this but im not sure.

thanks

I have a BX-board with no divider options at all and it can do 133fsb.
That works with all video cards I have tried with it so far and the NIC and soundcard is ok with it too. Maybe I'm lucky

Find an Intel 815 chipset board with the right dividers.

This will greatly increase your chances of getting to 140 or more.

BX boards can run as much as 160fsb with good enough ram. Good late model BX boards that is. Earlier BX boards only had a 1/3 PCI divisor, and as such the PCI speed gets out of hand around 124MHz. Later BX boards implemented a 1/4 divisor that can get you to 160fsb. Also the board must be of high quality. I used an Asus P3B-F for two years at 150FSB, even at cas2,2,2 once I found good enough memory. I also ran as much as 160FSB with Abit BF-6's, although at cas3.

Two things are needed (besides a high quality late model board), a video card that can stand the AGP overclock, and really good ram. Video cards have been able to handle the AGP speed ever since the G400 and the Geforce256 where the hot cards. AGP 4X cards have no trouble at all with a BX at 150. Since BX is an AGP2X board, even at 150fsb the result is an AGP 3X speed. This does not challange cards designed for AGP 4X, and good quality AGP 2X cards.

Back a couple of years ago it was a challange to find ram that would make it all the way to 150fsb. But recently produced PC133 of high quality should have no problem with it. Just like cpu's, the clock speed capability of ram improves all the time as more sophisticated fabrication technologies are applied to the semiconductors.

Nothing is certain in the world of overclocking, but if the board in question is an Asus or Abit new enough to have the 1/4 PCI divisor, your ram can take it, and your cpu is stable at the resultant clock rate it will work. I don't think there is any chance that the 8500 will balk at it.

The BX133 will not limit your overclock, the other components will...
My BE6II brought me to 165FSB, I can say the whole system was kind of scary, every single component were running on the egde...
The Mushkin memory wouldn't do a single more MHz, the GeForce DDR was stable at stock clockspeeds (wouldn't overclock at all) with 110MHz AGP speed and back then I didn't know harddrives could die from overclocking, but my Seagates managed 41.25MHz PCI.

I would say give it a try... Keep an eye one thing though...

thx for your posts. I think i will get one if i can for cheap enough.

I have no other weak parts that wouldnt be able to handle the speed.

I have run my current cuv4x at 140 for quite a while. My RAM is crucial pc133 cas2. I had it running at 160 cas2 using the 3/4 divider at 120mhz fsb. Also the chip is a tB1 1.2 tualeron.

The cuv4x works fine with the modded cpu but i cant get it over 120fsb. I couldnt either with the 1.1a i had before. It is obvious the cpu's arent limiting the system as i go from stck voltage at 120fsb to not even booting with up to 1.8v at 124.

After i try this last effort by updating the bios on my cuv4x, If it doesnt work I'll keep my eye out for a bx133.

If any of you can suggest another non abit BX board could you? Ive heard about the leaky caps and it woulb be a major inconvenience to have to solder new ones on or get abit to send me a replacement. How long of a warranty do they have anyway?

thanks alot

BTW, is that how agp speeds work? I see 150fsb would be running the agp at 100mhz and that would be 1.5 times 66mhz, but does that make it 3x?

Is agp 4x's speed 133mhz then?

larva said:
Earlier BX boards only had a 1/3 PCI divisor, and as such the PCI speed gets out of hand around 124MHz

That's the one I have then!
133mhz as I said :D
I can even change fsb in the bios!
It's a Lucky-Star 6ABX2V this one.

Back