• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New comp for $1200 help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hc000

My friend asked me to build him a new computer, he does NOT want it to be overclocked and he wants a amd computer this is what i currently have..

everything is retail except for floppy.

CPU :284 Athlon XP 2600+
Mobo :100 MSI KT4 Ultra
Vid :230 gf4 ti4600
Ram :284 crucial 2x256 + 1x512
HDD :100+30 120gb+20gb
Case :68 + 18s Chieftec Blue Server tower
PSU :50 antec/hec
CDRW :30 cendyne 48/12/48
DVDR :38 sony 16xdvd/40xcd
KB :13
Floppy:8
Therma:5
Total :1258?

what do u guys think?

Last edited:
looks like a good system. if he doesn't want to oc, you might wanna think about saving some money on that motherboard, ecs k7s5a is a good stable board, faster than most kt266a boards at default speeds and on sale for about $50 @ newegg. also, why do you want pc3200 if he isn't gonna oc. @ default speeds some pc2100 will do just fine.

i aruged with him about the getting a pc2700 ram he said he want pc3200 because its faster and i just give up its pointless, on the msi kt4 ultra mobo you can set the cpu ratio, your fsb can be 266 and the ram speed can be 400 :)

I would suggest you switch to Epox 8RDA+. It is only US$ 102 @ mwave.com and its onboard sound is as good as audigy. (I compared them using my klipsch speakers). Asus A7N8X is not bad but $20 more. However you can save $150 on the Audigy2 <--- got DRM build into the hardware. I would suggest a Lite-on DVD Rom because liteon DVD rom will never ask for location/regional code.

this is just my 0.02

pc 3200 is NOT faster. it is capable of reaching faster speeds, thus allowing you to O/C your fsb higher. if you are running @ default settings then you're going to get the same bandwidth from the pc 3200 only you're going to pay alot more for it. let's not be silly.

he said he wants a audigy... i said there IS NO POINT... but he wants one... same wtih the pc3200 ram... maybe i should just order something else and he will never know ? :D

I am kind of a ******* in situations like this. If someone asks me to build a system for him, then he sets the budget, I determine the components.
Putting a system together that does not make sense just does not ..eh make sense.

No swearing

Thelemac

dude, the audigy one is worth it, believe me, but that DRM crpa from audigy 2 is tha sook!!!

I suggest you to get the a7n8x with nforce2 chipset to get the full potential of corsair, kt400 chipset boards suck. Also, dump that old gf4 4600 and switch for the brand new Radeon 9500PRO. Reviews say it outperforms any nvida card right now (not counting gffx of course) and it will be around the same price, its a better investment IMO. ATIS catalyst drivers are as good as nvidas detonators, so its a no brainer man

well... now this is the question... your friend ask you to build a computer for him or ... ask you to assemble his computer parts into a computer for him?

It is his $, his rig. If he refused to listen to suggestions, then there is nothing much can do about it.

Ewww, ditch the 2100+! It sucks. If he doesn't want to overclock, get him something with good stock speed. 2200+ I think.

Also, **** the pc3200. If this guy doesn't want to overclock, just plain tell him, pc3200 is a WASTE OF MONEY! If he still insists, just get him pc2700 or 2100 and tell him it's 3200.

Also, don't get a 4600. Go for a 4200 or 9500 or something. 4600 blows.

Yea because he gonna look at the post screen and it will say either pc2100 or 2700(its been awhile since i been that low so i dunno what it says) Needless to say he gonna think u screwed him. Tell him that he doesn't need it. Its only for high fsbs and is a waste of money

It looks to me like you are kind of low on some of your prices there, d00d. I would like to know where you are going to get a Lian Li case for $60 that isn't a beat up POS. Also, the CDRW for $20 also sounds pretty low too, if you are buying a brand that isn't some generic POS. Plus the lowest price I see for a floppy drive at pricewatch is $8, so you are probably a few dollars shy there. Just remember, if you are going to order this stuff from multiple vendors that the cost of shipping is likely to be much higher than just ordering from 1 or 2 vendors.

Another thing, like has been stated before, your friend is a little bit dumb(I'm being diplomatic here :D ) by ordering the PC3200 ram if he's not going to be pushing the fsb up to extreme hights. As a matter of fact, I bet you he calls you a thief when it boots up and only shows PC266 or PC333 speeds for the memory on the post screen because that is all the board is running that memory at. He is also missing the boat by not going with the Epox or Asus nforce2 boards and skipping the Audigy. They have all the goodies the Audigy has and you don't have to fight creative's buggy BS drivers(This is my opinion, your results may vary ;) ). With the money saved on the memory and sound, he could have the baddest vid card on the block; the 9700 Pro and still have money in his pocket.

Well personally I would go with an Epox 8K9A2+ for a non-overclocker, but the MSI KT4 Ultra isnt a bad board. For no overclocking teh 2100+ is the best bang for your buck, good choice there. The video card should either be a Ti4200 or Radeon 9500Pro. And dont waste money on teh Audigy 2 Platinum, get the regular Audigy 2 for half only 100 bucks or just a regular Audigy.

muddocktor, i can get some computer stuff cheaper, its a 48/12/48 cendyne. all the items i plan to get for him is BRAND NEW. i was just estimating on the case and the floppy.

actual floppy is $8+$5 shipping
still deciding on WHICH case to buy.

just show him this thread of everyone saying that getting pc3200 will be a waste of money and im sure that will persuade him

Just defenitely get a different chip. Go for a 2200+, man. Maybe even a 2400+ if you save money by ditching the 4600 for a 4200 or something.

woot.... hes not buying pc3200 anymore :) and no audigy :)

but now he wants at least 2.2(not 2200+ actual speed) and a 1gb of ram... so we are going with crucial instead.. (i get 15% discount to crucial rams)

I only know of 1 place that was selling the 2800+ and that was Newegg, and it is only sold as a bundle with a select few mobos. I just looked and Your MSI mobo is on the list along with the A7N8X. Even going with the MSI board that proc/mobo will cost over $500 without a cooler. With a high dollar cpu like that, I wouldn't run anything less than an SLK800 or MCX462+ for cooling and you're talking 40-45 more for the heatsink without a fan.

EDIT: Not knocking the CDRW you are looking at, but Directron has some black Lite On 24X10X48 burners for around $35. They don't come with software, but I'm sure you can scrape that up and the Lite On drives supports Clone CD very well and can burn RAW DAO 96.

Last edited:
Back