• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake Volcano 7+ is a problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n2

i finally got around to messing with a P4 rig...

i have a P4 1.6A and a EPoX 4BDA i got from our very own CW.

so i get all the stuff lined out, gettin' ready to boot and install windoze.... thinkin' i'll run this awhile in order to straighten out my overly dusty main rig.

Well...
No POST :rolleyes:

ok, RAM? tried 3 types... no POST

vid? 2 diff cards, No POST

:mad: Grrr :mad:

to sum the process up, i tried all diff parts, and then tested on another rig to confirm the stuffs good. even tested the hsk's fan!

thinkin' that i've eliminated it down to board or CPU...
Not having another board OR CPU to test with, i'm really down in the dumps at this point. My 1st decent Intel rig ... and this! :(

not willing to give up, i figured i'd check if the cpu even gets hot.
STUPID clip mechanism from Hell FINALLY removed....
(i had to remove the hold-down screws to remove the clips to remove the hsk)
i cleaned off the AS3 and placed the (now clipless) Volcano 7+ on top of the chip's heatspread.

:eek: POST :eek:

the grand sum of this excersize is that i've proven the Vol 7+ to be a steaming pile of crap.
I'd stab the guess that the tension was either flexing the board, or pushing the chip down too far, and screwing it rather badly.

This seems in accordance to some other reports, which indicate Thermaltake is headed down a bad direction..
hence the Volcano 9 (famous for core damage)
and another person i know who's AMD rig won't boot with a Vol 7+

Anyways,
Now i just need a REAL hsk and i'll have a nice P4 rig to play with.
Thought i'd share this experience...
seemed really nice to have a HSK of skived copper for Both AMD/P4 but man... what a bummer this has turned out to be :-/

Its been known for a while that the volcano 7+ is a pile of crap on a P4...

It does however perform quite well on XP processors.

Back