• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxtor Hard Drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gas1968

I have have always used Maxtor Hard Drives and have had very good luck with them . I suppose at least two years old on my oldest PCS.
On the other hand ; I haven't used anything else either .
:cool:

I have used both WD and Maxtor. IMHO they are both very reliable companies that make great drives but I preffer Maxtor because of the lower seek times. Then again the WD makes the 8MB cache drives which are great performers. We should see the 8MB cache drives from other companies(such as Maxtor) very soon.

Maxtor already has drives with 8 meg cache and ata133 (they are pretty new tho)

i saw it on the maxtor site, but i have no clue on how much they will be costing

ive been using a WD all my life, never a problem
my dad has used maxtors, one which just recently caved in on him. it was atleast 5 years old tho. but both are really good. they are like nvidia and ati :D

raven said:
Maxtor already has drives with 8 meg cache and ata133 (they are pretty new tho)

i saw it on the maxtor site, but i have no clue on how much they will be costing

I have 2 of the maxtor 80gig 8mb buffer. First drives I used that weren't WD and I must say I'm pretty impressed. Of course getting them for $50 was also a big plus :D (Fry's rules)

HaTE said:
i only use WD HDD, all the Maxtor HDD i've used die with in a year, i've never had a WD HDD die on me:)

:( i've never expierienced a problem with any of my HD's, except this old quantum 8 gig which got fixed by low level format :( had a 20 gig maxtor ata66 for 2+ years never a problem:) sucks that yours have died

I've stood by Maxtor for as long as I can remember, especially after dropping one from about 3ft by accident...:eek:

It still works fine a year later, unfortunately I can't say the same for a WD drive I knocked over, it was standing on it's side on my desk, and I inadvertently knocked into it and all it did was tip over and fall flat, after that, the bad cluster count kept getting larger and larger until the drive finally just didn't boot anymore.

The platters from it now hang as windchimes in my friends house..:D ( don't ask....he wanted them...:eh?: )

I use to use IBM for quite a while because that is what Gateway put in there computers,well after many many problems I got into Maxtor and Western Didgital and never have looked back,I think they both are great drives,quiet and always seems to function well..The best in my book:)

I'm running 80GB Maxtor and an old (almost 3 years old) Quantum drives, never a problem, altho a drive of my friend which was also Quantum and was just a month older than my Quantum died on him, but it was actually some problem with the electrical circuit coz the drive would just shut down, then back up...
I had the worst expirience with WD, as I had like 3 or 4 die on me and another few die on people I know, a guy I know just got a new PC w/ the new 8MB buffered Maxtor and the drive runs COOL!!! I Couldn't believe it, we put his old quantum and his new drive side by side and started copying 3+GB of data, after the copy was complete the old drive was very warm while the new one remained very cool to the touch, I ran a temp reporting proggy, it said the drive was running at 24C about the same as the room temp.
One of my WDs just died after I fdisked it. And still hear of people's drives (which are WD) dieing, I don't hear as much dead Maxtors or even IBMs, coz propably most people use Maxtor and WD now anyway ;)

I started out with Quantum and IBM, the IBM I had was a 75 GXP that died, and the Quantum is still running after like 2.5 years. My Maxtor in my current rig has been running fine for half a year now :). IMHO the WDs' transfer rates aren't worth the extra seek time.

I've always enjoyed Maxtor because they were cheap primarily. I have one that's about 3 years old still going strong. And a second one that's only 2 years old still going strong. I need to get another one pretty soon and I'll most likely stick with maxtor for it as well.

I have a CONNOR (yeah, that's right) 80megabyte drive.
It's just over 10 years old.

Spindle speed = 3,600 RPM.

If you want, i'll try and get some benchmarks in Sandra.

i have used & liked Maxtor in the past, recently i had to RMA 2 160gb HDs that where retail, "staples" the replacement units came back with a 1yr warranty and the ones i sent in had a 3 yr warranty :(
Thats BS..
buy a warranty from sears & have them say we changed our policy after you pay for it?
The WDs are real good but are slower in my testing then the Maxtors, even the WD1200jb 8mb models are not as fast as the ata133 7200rpm maxtors over say an 8hr vid encode..
My 2 cents worth nill..

Monolithic retail strikes again...

Interesting viewpoint vs WDs, do you have some benchies/screenies to show this?

According to storagereview.com drive reliability survey

WD (forgot 800BB or JB) > Seagate cuda IV > Maxtor D740X > IBM 120GXP

My next drive upgrade would be WD800JB in Raid 0:)

I have a Maxtor 20GB in my 3 yr old Dell right now, and it's running fine. I'm going with 2 WD 60GB in my new pc though... just because the price is better right now.

Back