• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hoot can you look at this please?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phantom punisher

i think im a candidate for a new power supply. i ran some test using a 1 sec sample rate with mother board monitor and then proceded to beat and abouse my comp to try to flucuate the voltages. as you can see at high speeds my voltage moves a lot more than at stock speeds. the psu i have now is only a deer 400 watt. how do these reading look to you having owned antec supplys like i will be most likely getting?
http://www.phantompunisher.netfirms.com/hoot.htm

comments from anyone are welcome

Well, let me preface my remarks with the acknowledgement that I have never owned, nor worked with an Intel based system. In an AMD based system the +5V output is the critical voltage for developing the core. If, in the Intel based system, the core voltage is developed from the +5V, then looking at your +5V regulation, it is not the culprit for the varying core voltage. The motherboards core voltage regulator is the culprit. In AMD based systems, the varying +12V is, for the most part, no big deal. It does not contribute significantly to any critical motherboard voltages.

Somewhere, I thought I read that Intels use the +12V to generate the core voltage. Is my ignorance showing? If that is the case in your system, then the varying +12V would be a greater concern.

I am not familiar with Deer PSUs, though I have heard of them. Regardless of whether your system uses +5V or +12V to generate the core voltage, it is not unusual for the core voltage to vary a little bit as a function of CPU load. How bad it varies is for the most part a function of the regulator circuit on the motherboard, not the PSU.

Sorry I can not be more enlightening on the issue. I'm just not familiar with Intel based motherboards.

Hoot

Intel motherboards used to derive the cpu voltage from the 5V, but do not any longer. With the advent of the P4 power consumption rose to a level better served by a 12V feed. The auxiliary 4 pin 12V line (most) P4 motherboards require is used to feed the power supply on the motherboard that in turn powers the cpu. This cuts total power consumption and heat production a useful amount at the current levels of modern PC cpus. Just like an electric range uses 220V because of its heavy power demand, 12V is better suited to powering modern cpu's.

The somewhat lowish voltage numbers are a characteristic of recent Abit P4 motherboards. That being said, get that Deer junk out of the machine before it kills. See the following thread for details on Deer:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146397

Back