• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

450mhz K6-2 O/C to 533mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gazzrawly

back in mid 1999, i built myself a top notch pc which turned out to be a 450mhz K6-2 on a MSI-5169/ATX motherboard. Obviously, this system is almost worth giving away. So i decided to overclock this 450mhz which had a default voltage core of 2.5, found itself reaching 3.2. The system would boot at 550mhz but would give me the old protection error message until i declocked to 533mhz again. As much as i want to overclock to 550mhz, i dont want to make a leep from 3.2 to 3.4. This system is current at 2.8 VC and runs fine, its just that final leep that it doesn't want to achieve.
Obviously i changed the heatsink and fan from that of a duron 850mhz which has now, for the moment expired ;). Any1 have any ideas on getting this to 550mhz, other than buying a new mobo+cpu :D is it worth increasing VC to 3.4 and beyond? this mobo will support up to 3.5 VC (insaine or what).

- gazz

What is the FSB @?
Are you running PC100 or PC133?

You might be fine @ the voltage you already have.
Is there a DIMM Voltage available? What is it set @?

CPU voltage isn't everything...

2.8 V core is dangerously high with the a K6-2, going any higher would be allmost certain death. If you really want to get a little more out of it, I'd suggest decapping it. The caps is glued on at each of the four corners, and the core. If you slide a single edge razor blade under each of the corners to cut the glue there, you can then use something to pry the cap off. I used a plastic knife.

I have uncapped a coupple k6 series chips with success and kind of cracked the core on my k6-III so be carefull if you decide to go that path. I am currently running a K6-II 450 as well and have it running stable @ 500 and have the same problem with the BSOD when at 550. Unfortunately I do not have any higher fsb settings than 100 on my mobo. My vcore is at 2.3v, in order to get to 550 I had to bump it up to 2.8+ volts. I personally find 2.8 is not bad as long as you have proper cooling but the more vcore you apply means a much shorter chip life. If I could get 533 I would stay content.

RPM_Computing, a lot of those old super7 mobo's have a 90fsb setting. If yours has it, then you can set the fsb to 90 and the multi to 2, which is remapped to read 6 on that proc. That would give you 540 mhz, which might be just enough of a slowdown for your proc to run.

muddoctor, you are right, I do have 90mhz fsb setting, mabey i'll give it a whirl if i don't need to bump the vcore up too much. I need it to be stable when folding, takes 2-3 days to get 1 WU from it lol.

Back