• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gotta get a new HSF, what one should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phully

Not too sure on what one to get, i have a XP2400 so i need some decent cooling, but i dont wanna branch into water cooling coz i dont get paid enough. Lol

All help appriciated.

Thx

- Phully

P.S. Got around 50 pounds maximum to spend.

SLK-800 or SK-7 from Thermalright. Put on a fan that can move some decent air and you should be good to go.

went on the manufacturers site and it says its for a 2000?? is it gonna be ok on my 2400+, its running at 50idle at the moment im hoping to get it much lower.

any idea on what i am able to achieve?

yea but surley "matrix3412" if Phully has looked on the manufacturers web site and they say it only supports 2000+ it aint advisible to use it on any thing higher?
What does everyone reckon?

agree with the rest of them slk 800 is the one i wint with smart fan 2 worked out well too 70 sum cfm and cools my 2200 to 28C

thezman said:
yea but surley "matrix3412" if Phully has looked on the manufacturers web site and they say it only supports 2000+ it aint advisible to use it on any thing higher?
What does everyone reckon?

A couple reasons why:

First of all, looking at the heatsink ratings on the front page, the SLK-800 is the best AMD heatsink there is. If it can't handle a 2400+, then how will a STOCK AMD heatsink ever be able to handle one? They're certainly not providing a watercooling kit in their retail boxes ;)

Sometimes you need to disregard what a manufacturer recommends, which is mostly the point of overclocking and modding. Instead, go on people's experiences, because they know what is best from actually using the product. And we all know that it "is not recommend to run the processor at a higher frequency than specified by the manufacturer" hehe :p

Also, sometimes the rating may be outdated. I believe the 2400+ came out after the SLK-800, so the "specs" of the heatsink may not be updated to be current with new products. This especially occurs with processors and heatsinks when a higher-frequency CPU is released, such as in this case.

Based on the HS performance review on the main page of www.overclockers. com, the No. 1 HS and Fan combo is the SLK-800 and the Tornado, 2nd is the SK-7 w/ a Tornado.

I have the sk-7 and Delta 80 fan and this hsf enabled me to o/c at least 150mhz higher than my previous hsf.

like the other 45 people I say "get the SLK800" just BE CAREFUL installing the thing. They could've done a better job with the clip on the damn thing. I take a swig of the good stuff before I get the courage to work up taking the damn thing off.

Back