• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best LCD moniter for Gaming?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In my opinion, none. Even the fastest LCD's still can't match the sharpness of a CRT. Plus you gotta deal with the big possiblility of getting dead pixels, which is BS after paying that much for those stupid things.

Solution: Viewsonic P225fb CRT
1600x1200 aat 100Hz! :D :D :D
Price: bout $615 USD at newegg :eek:

right now Hitachi makes the best LCD for gaming (according to other posts here) with clamed responce time 16ms, much better than the other's best - 24ms. They say ghosting is practically eliminated! I do not know the model number but someone else will surely get it for you shortly. Search a few pages down in the video and sound forum and look for "LCD" in the thread title.

Good luck!

Do yourself a favor and buy a CRT monitor for gaming. LCDs are not quite ready for prime time gaming.

Well, I was gonna get a lcd also, but i guess it's not all that great rite now. So what do you guys recommend would be a good 17" CRT? Looking for a black one too.

I have a Hyundai Image Quest L70A 17" LCD and I see no ghosting what so ever. It has a response time of 25ms. If I were you I'd go and see the LCD's for myself. People still have the impression that LCD's can't be used for gaming. That is the same argument that ATI cards suck because of driver issues. It's just an old and stupid argument now. Granted CRT's do cost a lot less and LCD's do get dead pixels, I have 1 dead pixel and I've had my LCD for 6 months.

BTW

I play Counter-Strike, Battlefield 1942, UT2003, Diablo II, Red Aler 2, and Max Payne and none of them have ever given me any ghosting.

Last edited:
The Hitachi CML174 is the only one that I know of that will play SOFII, UT2003, 16ms response times and they rock, 630.00 at www.monitorsdirect.com/ If you want a killer inexpensive 19" CRT the ViewSonic P95F for 290.00 at www.newegg.com/ is no doubt about it the best bang for buck 19" aperature grill CRT out there in my humble opinion. Mitsubishi DiamondTron tube, excellent electronics and resolution refresh ratio. Want better? The Mitsubishi DiamondPro 920S about 399.00 at Microcenter. Want even better? the Sony CDP G420S 390.00 at newegg.

Hookem said:
The Hitachi CML174 is the only one that I know of that will play SOFII, UT2003, 16ms response times and they rock, 630.00 at www.monitorsdirect.com/ If you want a killer inexpensive 19" CRT the ViewSonic P95F for 290.00 at www.newegg.com/ is no doubt about it the best bang for buck 19" aperature grill CRT out there in my humble opinion. Mitsubishi DiamondTron tube, excellent electronics and resolution refresh ratio. Want better? The Mitsubishi DiamondPro 920S about 399.00 at Microcenter. Want even better? the Sony CDP G420S 390.00 at newegg.

...... Want te best CRT on earth? Sony F520 is the best. Absolutely flat screen, .22mm everywhere (some other manufacturers claim even less (.21mm) but that is only in the center - on the sides it goes up to .27mm - very anoying - your image looks different in the center than on the sides. The best monitors have the same mm all around) And did I mention that the F520 is the best. :)

Of course I do not have the monitor ( [COUGH] ~$1450. [/COUGH] ) so what I am saying here - "Sony F520 is the best" - is from what I read from other people's opinions.

The Mitsubishi DiamondPro 920S has 24.dot pitch across the entire screen and the best picture IMHO. I would like to see one of those Sony's. Man it seems like forever since someone has released a new aperature grill 19". I chose the Sony CDP G420S because of the dual inputs and better specs. I know people who have the Mitsubishi 920S and the ViewSonic P95F, all three are outstanding monitors.

Last edited:
If you want an inexpensive yet good monitor i would recommend Viewsonic P90F or the slightly more expensive P95F. 19" CRT both
I have the P90F and really like it.

I have this sony monitor. Just got it. Quiet possibly the best monitor ever made.

BTW the heaviest mofo on earth.

Save up and get this thing.:D :D

OMG 92.6lbs!

I dunno if I want to spend 2 grand on a monitor tho....

Think of all the stuff I could get for my car for 2g's

BTW - What refresh rate can you run at 1024x768 and 1600x1200? I haven't seen any that can beat Viewsonic's P225f/225fb

I dont mess with refresh rates. I would not want to damage it in any way. It looks awsome and I can stare at it for 10 hours straight without a single side effect, that tells me the refresh rates are just fine....whatever they are.

i just got a 21 inch sony 520GS and it's not bad. i got it for $150 from one of the classified sections. i know it's kinda risky but i'm only using this monitor for gaming so no biggy. i have an LCD for my regular work and stuff. but the sony is one great monitor.

Viewsonic. Mitsubishi's high end and Viewsonic's high end are the same things. I think it was Tom's hardware that did a comparison of a few 21inchers, the mistubishi came out on top.

Don't worry about damage, just look at the specsheet for the monitor and set it to the maximum for whatever the resolution is you're running at. If you set it beyond what the company says, then you MIGHT run into problems.

BTW - Sony isn't the end-all be-all, there ARE other monitors out there that could whoop Sony easy, if you have the cash that is.

Logical remember. Spending 5 grand on a monitor is rediculous. I think sony still makes the best high end monitor without making you spend insane amounts of money. Got any links to reallllly expensive crt's...I would like to see them.

Back