• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation PLZ!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dj_unforgetable

Sup all. Just wanted to get your opinion on my upcoming decision. I wanna get a good, stable, overclockable motherboard this christmas, before I list my options, please remember that i will be upgrading from a KT133A chipset :-(

1. Abit KX7 KT333 $127 CAD
2. Gigabyte GA-7VAX (no raid) KT400 $136 CAD
3. Some nForce2

Which would should i get for christmas? If you suggest a nForce2 board, please list which manufacturer and how much it costs, and remember that I would like the price to stay below $160 CAD.

THNX in advance...

Get an nforce 2 if you want high FSB, soundstorm, and good overclocking options.
Epox 8rda+ is ~$120
Asus A7n8x Dlx is ~$150
Prices in US dollars. Don't know the canadian exchange rate.
Those seem to be the most popular ATM. You'll probably want to get the 8rda+ since the Asus is gonna be out of your $160 CDN budget.

actually those prices are alittle high the epox is only 104 and the asus dlx is 124

I hope you are right, cause the Epox came out to be Just over $160CAD...i dunno tho, hope it comes out round here before x-mas...

but If i am not able to get the 8RDA, which KT400 board would you guys recommend? is the Gigabyte one i chose good? I heard from Amddb and Anandtech that is was pretty good overall?

i wud say da gigabyte....im still kinda new too dis so dont hab to listen to me...but a friend of mine got it...an it wuz great....at a great value...

why do people type with spellings like wuz, hab, and dis?

it baffles me

All Right guys, I am REALLY confused right now. At first I wanted the nForce2 motherboard, specifically the 8RDA. Then i read in a few places that it is very unstable and has a lot of problems. Coupled with that is its outrageous price up here in Canada. With that said, i excluded any nForce2 boards from my list.

Next I considered the KT400 chipset (specifically the Gigabyate GA-7VAX), but lo and behold, i hear again that the KT400 is bug-ridden including the memory lock-ups and no performance gain from the KT333 chipset. So i then think to myself, why waste $50 on a KT400 when i can get the same speed with the KT333 right? So right now, I am considering the KT333 chipset motherboard. A few things to mention before I cak my question, keep in mind that I am upgrading from an A7V133, PC-133 RAM (EW!). I would like to keep the price moderate, nothing too high, and i wanna keep features moderate, and overclockability/performance at a MAX.

With that said, can someone suggest a GOOD KT333 motherboard? thnx..

BTW, right now I am considering the Epox 8K5A2, the Gigabyte GA-7VRXP and any KT333 boards from here ...take a look at the AMD section and plz tell me your suggestion...

Last edited:
Well, I’m not sure about the exchange rate, but I believe you cannot go wrong with your choice of either the EPOX or the ASUS Board. I am curious as to why you haven’t considered the Abit KX7333/RAID? Not a bad price for the KX7333 without RAID @ 125.0 And not bad @ 152.0 with RAID considering these boards really Rock too. :D

Either way you decide to go, I believe your going to be in good shape!!

The Choice is yours!! Choose Well!!

DpGravy

If you got cash, go with the Asus. The Epox 8RDA seems to be rather problematic in a series of way. Sounds to me like Epox didn't do their best job on this board. Just to prove my point, I'll refer you to this thread and scroll down to Elusion's post:

http://forums.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=147365

It doesn't have PCI Lock and it has a whole series of problems.

From that thread, the Asus has been proven to have PCI Lock and less problematic.

Yea, I originally heard that the 8RDA had a lotta issues. That is why I wanna go with something tried and true like the KT333 chipset. Right now I am just considering all the possibilities, there are so many KT333 boards on the market, and i hear conflicting reports of which one performs the best. So far, I have two sources that say the GA-7VRXP and the 8K5A2 are the two best for the KT333 chipset. Does anyone concur?

Back