• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

You think it's dead but it's not.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deadphishy

i know a lot of people go through this but why does it happen. when you do somthing to your computer, to make it shut it's self off, or freeze. and when you go to turn it back on nothing happens. you could what 5 mins and nothing. but you leave it alone for a while and it boots first try. i've tried all night to get my computer to boot, only to find that my mother turned it on in the morning after it had sit for a few hours. does anyone know why this happens.

have you sacrificed your goats to the O/C demons lately?

Not really sure myself. Maybe the system just needs a little nap:D Hey, you'd get tired after a long day of looking at proteins.

-CPFitz-

It has happened to me before though. Scares the hell outta you doesn't it. But then its like the greatest thing ever when you get it to turn on again.

that used to happen to me when i was using a cheapo PSU, when it got hot the computer woudn't cold boot. it sucked waiting for the PSU to cool off.

That happened to my laptop a few weeks ago. I let a stupid [M]icrosnot auto update go on the comp and then the computer was unbootable. I put how to fix it on our forums and a couple of days later (after I had DLed the boot disk I needed), I switched to comp on and it booted just fine. Go figure...

why would you sacrifice goats.. thats what chickens are for... we should bring back the massive chicken slaughtering avatars... hmm good times good times

hmm whats that thelemac...
*ack*

help help im bein' repressed

PSU is the reason.
steps:
1) PSU goes crazy
2) PSU won't start because it "sees" a fault in the circuits
3) After the PSU is empty from current (long nap hours help =0 ), it doesn't see a fault again
4) PSU checks if it's protection circuits say "power on" and then it fires up =)
5) In the meantime we get a minor heart attack

EOP
[End Of Post =0]

Thought my SiS 6326 8MB AGP card died. Turns out the memory timings were a tad too much. Simply removed the BIOS battery to clear CMOS and everything worked again.

(but hey, I did get a GeForce 2 Ti outta the deal...:D:D)

CPFitz14 said:
It has happened to me before though. Scares the hell outta you doesn't it. But then its like the greatest thing ever when you get it to turn on again.

happened to me 2 days ago; annoyed me 'cause I thought I'd killed another PSU (poor things can't take my abuse), tested for 20 mins, then it booted fine, weird...but as you said, it was like the greatest thing ever when it booted again :D

john240sx said:
that used to happen to me when i was using a cheapo PSU, when it got hot the computer woudn't cold boot. it sucked waiting for the PSU to cool off.
That happened to me some time ago. I opened it up and turned the fan around so it sucked in air and that fixed the problem.

I had this happen once, turned out to be the solder on my FDD from the 10,000mcd green LED i put in there shorting out.

[anti chicken army] AND DEATH TO CHICKENS! The llamas will rule the world[/end ACA]

Back