• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What precautions do you take...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lumen

Ok, I'll start from why I'm so distrought. My parents bought a Dell, yes a Dell about 3 years ago. I considered myself very computer literate in programs and on the components inside. I would take it apart and put it back together again over and over, never did I have a problem. Back then I really didnt know about static shock and components, but I was really careful and no parts were every recked.

Now up to why I am asking the question.

About a week ago I recieved my EPoX 8RDA+ and AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ B, in the mail. As soon as I unwrapped in from the package, I got my little wrist static strap and put it on the case metal.(Was this the right thing to do?) I mean the mobo wasnt in the case, but I didnt think that I would should it, because in my house it is all hardwood.(Virtually no static buildup.) I took the same precautions with my 2600+, and thought I was doing a very thorough job.

Just the other day I asked how I could tell if an item was shocked by static. I followed the directions of one of the helpful members of this board to test it.(Put the 2600+ in and hook up the power supply.) Nothing, no lights nothing, didnt give any error mesage on the little led thing. I was really beside myself at this point, I mean I was very very very careful. Nothin ever happened when I was dinking around with my Dell, and I wasnt even very educated on computers then.

What did I do wrong and what precautions can I take when my RMA is complete?

Thank you very much for your time

~Dan

dont ever work on carpe tor anything that easily carries static. Also, you did the right thing with a wrist band.

So you think the cpu might have been DOA from the start?

Parts arrive DOA plenty enough, but once in a while you can kill one without realizing you let your guard down. Personally I can't remember the last time I used a static band, but I religiously grab bear metal before and during handling of any static sensitive device. If you think you were careful then simply rma the product.

possibly. It could of prolly been anything DOA. My mai suspect is the PSU. The fans and stuff should of at least come on. Did they? Make sure the ATX connector is corrected corectly to ur MOBO and the little voltage selector n the back on the outside is on the right voltage and that the PSU is turne don. If there was power, stuff would go on.

Yah, the PSU works, I shorted the green and black wires and the fans come on just fine.

then RMA the Mobo is what I would do. I would think it was the mobo, but it could be a number of things. Try to get your hands on some other parts from a friend or something and test everything out

I've always worked on a carpet or bed as my workbench. In a dorm room thats your only option. I've always made sure I was grounded while handling anything static-sensitive and never have had any issues.

My thoughts: DOA, keep doing what you're doing, sorry your first experience had to be a bad one.

As a sidenote, make sure you use (if necessary) motherboard standoffs. The first machine I ever built on my own I didn't use mobo stand-off's and fried two boards before I realized I needed them (although I suspect MWAVE had something to do with them being DOA). That has never happened again. Newegg forever, MWAVE never

hmm.. i just noticed something. When i short the green and the black wire together the fans work. When I put the plug into the mobo the fans dont work.?

Ok i feel like a freakin idiot now...:(
The reason why my mobo wasnt coming on was that i didnt have any of the leds or switches plugged in. Im breating a sigh of releif and feeling really stupid at the same time here.

K well i turned it on, and it the fans ran and it gave me a c1 error which is ram detection. Only problem I have know is to determine whether the CPU is functioning or not.

damn I feel so stupid lol:p

make sure the ram is well seeded... I've had some picky ram that wouldn't boot unless it was rammed in there (pun intended)

doesn't epox give u a list of what the different codes mean? what is the pt of their famous LCD on board if they don't? duh

um yah it does have the code led. I dont have ram or a video card. Is there anyway to tell if the cpu is good just by the error message? Does it detect the cpu first or the ram? That would answer my question right out.
Also I am having problems with the power led and the button. The power button will turn the computer on, but the light doesnt come on. Also the power button wont turn the computer off. Something I noticed was that there are way more pins then slots for the power led. Anyone know which ones to put em in?

If the LED isn't coming on, you've probably got it hooked up backwards. The power switch will probably turn off the motherboard, but you have to hold it in for about 5-7 seconds, this is a new feature to most ATX motherboards.

It is possible that your motherboard's BIOS doesn't support XP2600's and you need to update the BIOS to the newest version. If you have another CPU you can try in the motherboard, try that and see if it boots. If it does, then use that CPU long enough to flash the BIOS to the newest version, then try your XP2600+. Also, make sure you don't have the clear CMOS jumper in the clear position, when you're trying to boot the board.

As for the pins and slots for the power LED, you need to consult the manual for the board and figure out which pins to use. Power LED's come in two varieties. To slot and three slot. Most motherboards have the capability of hooking up either one. Some don't. Some motherboards only support two slot power LED's (ECS K7S5A does this, if memory serves.) In that case, clip the three slot power LED lead in the middle, where there is no conductor and hook up the leads to the two pins on the motherboard.

Thanks you have been very helpful!
2600+ are supported by the 8RDA+ im just trying to find out if it works or not.

Yes the motherboard supports them, but does the BIOS that YOU HAVE on your board support them? Usually, when you get a new motherboard, the BIOS on it is not the newest one. You may need the newest BIOS to run the 2600. That's what I'm saying.

hahahh, well what im doing now is just making sure the mobo works, i dont have ram a video card or a cooling system right now.
Its odd though. I put my 3 slot led in every position possible and it still does not turn on.

Warehouse hahahh, well what im doing now is just making sure the mobo works, i dont have ram a video card or a cooling system right now.

Did you say you have "No" RAM and Video Card installed/plugged into their slots???? And Heatsink??? Or did I interpret this statement incorrect??? If I didn't, then the answer is YES!!! You need these items in order to verify that your Processor is working, more importantly DO NOT TURN ON YOUR SYSTEM WITHOUT A HEATSINK ON THE PROCESSOR!!!!!!!! It will cook your CPU!!!! I don’t wish to sound harsh here!! :D I’m just trying to make sure you don’t fry your new system “IF” I understood this quote above correctly. :D

DpGravy

Err. no I did not subject my 2600+ to that.
Only thing Im asking is why my Power LED might not be working.
Yes I am (currently) only using PSU, mobo, case.

Back