• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Games are better than PS2... help me explain why

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

I already have a few computer games and wouldn't think of getting a console for myself again (N64). However, my stepson wants a PS2 for Christmas and I'm having a hard time talking him out of it; he's already sold on all the PS2 hype. He's not at all computer savvy and really just wants to play games. I'm hoping some of you can advise me how I might sway him into playing PC games instead (that way I can play some new games too). We just came from shopping and he saw the PC games are basically the same as the PS2 games, but he won't budge. Help...

1. First Person Shooters are (to me) very awkward on a console controller (using 2 sticks vs. a mouse). An example would be Halo. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough but I prefer a mouse.

2. Often graphics are better on a PC.

3. Often PC games can be had for less when they come out (come on sale at major retailers soon after release).

4. Easier to backup your games in case of ruined discs (I think, then again I have no experience backing up new-gen console games).

5. There are often more gameplay options and tweaks in a PC version.

6. You are the dad and your word is final :D

Socially I feel console games are percived as more cool then PC games, maybe this is why he is so hung up on them. The trick is to find why he believes a PS2 is a better choice and prove him wrong. If I was to guess, he is probably caught up on a game (GTA 3 perhaps) or possibly he hears his friends talking about sitting in circles while they try to kill eachother on T.V. and he wants in.

If money is not an issue, I would just get the PS2. He just wants to have fun, and most likely does not care about what resolution the game is running at, or playing with 30 other people on a server located someplace in silicone valley. He just want to have some friends over and have a good time.

Some people like apples, some like oranges. Or some people appanges(like me).

Without going into some flame war or debate over the subject here is how i see the situation

Consoles are GREAT for arcade games and racing games thats about it

If you are into First Person Shooters, Simulators, Role Playing Games, Real Time Strategy, Masively Multiplayer Online Games than consoles don't even come close to PC's

Why PC is better for gaming IMO

1. Better graphics and resolution

2. I can always upgrade my PC

3. PC have multiple purpose, the same $ investment (PC) i can use for surfing, to work to gaming while with consoles i am stuck wth one purpose only

You make the decission if he gets a PC he might as well learn something besides being a dedicated gamer and who knows one day he will be posting messages here like you asking about overclocking and FSB's hehe :)

Many Console games are very buggy, just like PC games but the major benifit is that there are patches for the PC and not the console!! Also the future of games is moving towards internet game play and from what i saw at E3 Tokyo consoles have no chance of catching up!!!

Absolutely amazing! You guys are like an encyclopedia of information. This is just what I needed. Thanks for all the help.

I think the really huge one Baqai mentioned, upgradeability. And included in that is the fun of tinkering with the computer. From what I know of consoles, you buy it and that is it. Then you wait for the next one to come out, and I suppose hope it is backward compatible with your present games.
Depending on how old he is, he might remain unconvinced. Bragging rights to the kids at school might be as important to him as actually getting it.

I have to agree on the bragging part, kids can be so competetive (hell leave kids me and my friend are so competetive when it comes to computers lol :D)

i still remember when i got the amazingly awesome ATARI and than later on i got Nintendo wow nearly all of the class used to come over to my place to play Super Mario Bros or Contra ahhh good old days :)

grunjee said:
1. First Person Shooters are (to me) very awkward on a console controller (using 2 sticks vs. a mouse). An example would be Halo. Maybe I'm just not coordinated enough but I prefer a mouse.

2. Often graphics are better on a PC.

3. Often PC games can be had for less when they come out (come on sale at major retailers soon after release).

4. Easier to backup your games in case of ruined discs (I think, then again I have no experience backing up new-gen console games).

5. There are often more gameplay options and tweaks in a PC version.

6. You are the dad and your word is final :D

1. Can't really argue with that.

2. This is closer than you think. Check out the lastest from the Xbox. Pretty darn impressive.

3. I don't think the kid cares. He's not forking up the dough.

4. No argument with that one.

5. See above.

6. That always goes over like a lead balloon.

With Xbox Live now online and Sony releasing a PS2 version of EQ things are looking kind of bleak for PC gaming.

BTW, what games does your stepson play? Might be better able to target the argument.

And to go with number 5. When's the last time you re-skinned your game for a PS2 or took a screenshot to prove you did it?

If money isn't an option, just get the ps2. If he doesn't have a newer computer it will be cheaper to get the ps2 anyway. People have different preferences. Shouldn't force ne thing on him if the only reason is cuz you like it better. That's just my opinion though, i don't have any kids.

One reason I'd imagine he wants a PS2 is that it is much easier to share console games with his friends than PC titles. Being able to do that is going to be as important to him as the games themselves, I'd imagine. (I know it was when I was twelve and my friends had Mattel Intellivision systems.)

I love PC gaming and don't even own a console, but still, I wouldn't get too worked up if my kid wanted a PS2 or X-Box. The advantages of PC's as a game platform have been well explained here, and I agree 100%, but we are overlooking that most of those advantages will mean little or nothing to a typical preteen. His friends are playing Game X, Game X is only availiable for the PS2, so he's going to want a PS2.

I hate advising anyone on raising their kid, but I think this is one area where you can give him some room to run. Chances are in a couple of years all the things mentioned here will matter to him, and he'll want a PC. The relationship you guys can build through that might be much better if you let him come to it instead of trying to convince him now.

Just my $0.02

BHD

He's mostly interested in the teen and mature games, has been playing first person shooter, fighting, and racing games at the arcade, and seems mostly interested in games with action and violence. I'm looking at it like this... the PS2 plus all those games will no doubt add up to hundreds of $$ much faster than it would by just adding to my current collection of PC games and then we play on the 2 PCs I'll soon have. The only way I can see justifying a PS2 is if some of the games are so much better (must have) and they can't be played on a PC.

Edit: good advise BHD

Stick with the PC.

I had to learn the hard way. I got interested in a ps2 and bought it. It's sitting and gathering dust right now.

The PC's where it's at.

IMO consoles can be fun the plus factor for console

1. One doesnt need to have a PHD to hook it up to TV and start playing

2. No long installations required

3. No need to worry about RAM considerations, HDD space, Video card etc if there is a game for a particular console it WILL run it

4. You can take your console relatively very easy to your friends place

Keeping all the points in mind above one might say that yes consoles might be good but

1. Consoles get old very quick

2. There is not much one can do to update a console (i am talking about modding it up)

3. It is a console HELLO!!!!!! so linux or Windows XP on it isnt going to make it a computer

4. No matter how much imrproved graphics they bring to console they will always be limited by GPU which in case of a computer you can always upgrade

5. With computer you can upgrade component by component therefore increasing your computing and gaming experience at your own convenience with consoles you have to buy a totally new thing (with totally new set of games if you are going for a different console)

6. Remember hard drives which is a very new concept to consoles where there for PC's for as long as i remember :)

I have to say that I agree with the way most of these guys are going... and here is something that they didn't mention... most if not all of the really good console games end up being ported for the PC. You may have to wait for a while(liek I am for THPS4 at the moment) but the time will come... heck I wouldn't be surprised to see Halo on PC one of these days... but if you do go with a console make it the x-box, it may not have an amazing game base yet but it will I'm sur eof it.

Well you guys seem to forget though. Consoles generally have very diff games from the PC...well except for X-box : P. Consoles have games Like Mario, Resident Evil, Really good platformers, great fighting games, fun kill em all games like Hunter:The Reckoning. You really dont have games like that on the PC...also I feel they are much better with a controllers. On the other hand. PC does kill consoles graphically...look at Ut2k3 to Unreal Championship. PC has GREAT FPS, RTS, Racing games, and many more. They really do both have the plus's. Since you said he likes FPS show him a few on PC and since he likes racing show him RalliSport Challenge (One of the best racings games IMO). Fighting games though...dont really know if there are any good ones on PC...if any.

1Time said:
Absolutely amazing! You guys are like an encyclopedia of information. This is just what I needed. Thanks for all the help.

or have both. built one good gaming rig and get PS2 or X box. thats what i would do. but thats not me so, you decide

but PS2 is more if i may say plug and play game type. cause you dont need to look at sys requirements or anything of that sort that PC games have.

just buy it at a store come home and put the disk into the PS2 and play. in Computer its "wtf why isnt it playing!" or "gosh, my vid card cant run this" hehe, whateve

when you say "i am a pc gamer" people raise eye brows

Karl

Back