• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD R/RW Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCor4D

I have been reading somethings on here, and a lot of people say just wait until later to get a DVD burner. I was really looking into getting one, is there one that would be a good one that isn't too too expensive that will probably be good for the future? Or should I just wait until later to get one when the prices aren't so high?
Thanks in advance
[4D]

I'd personally wait until DVD get's itself s standard, otherwise the dvd's you burn may not work on all DVD players...at least that's my understanding of it. And waiting until the prices come down isn't a bad idea either.

I hear that, when the prices get around $100 for low end and $150-175 for high end, I'll start thinking about it.

Cheapest burner i can think of is the pioneer 104 ( which is 2x burning ) for $450 Canadian. i am also looking into a dvd burner. debating about the pioneer ao5 (4x burning) and the sony Dru500 (also 4x). The Sony does burn both major formats in DVD, which are + and - so if you are looking for future usability id go with the sony but its really expencive. around $550 Canadian. I am leaning towards that the standard will be - for the reason that it is cheaper right now, and it started out first.

There are also other manufactures ( ie, Toshiba ) which also make dvd r/rw drives, but i havent seen any around my area yet.

well, let us know what you descide to get.

raven

Krieger said:
I'd personally wait until DVD get's itselfs standard

Actually there is one,

Window's Lognhorn will support DVD+R/+RW

Apple supports DVD-R/RW.

:D:D:D

In proportion to disc size and record speeds, the time it would take a 16X DVD Burner to burn a full DVD(4.7GB) would be roughly the same as a 32x CD Burner to burn a full CD(700MB).

And I would also wait for ATAPI-66, ATAPI-100 or SATAPI(not sure which one will/would be adopted by IEEE, but it should be one of those),:).

The Sony DRU-500A can pretty much record under every single DVD recording standard and if I HAD to get a DVD burner now, it would probably be at the top of my want list. I think list price is around $350 so it is a bit expensive.

i would personally wait because there is now standard on what laser to use (red or blue i think :) ) but if you are really intent on getting one i would get a DVD burner that has the laser your existing dvd equipment uses assume you have any. Other wise i would wait untill the obsenly high price start to drop. i hope this helps.

:)

how much do they cost? i was watching some infomercial with some rip-off system and they said it comes with a dvd burner and they cost $700 to $800+

Ok this is only my opinion so here it goes:)

Forget about the whole red/blue laser cause that is YEARS off!!! HDDVD's won't be consumer for years!! (blue wavelength lazers will support up to 25 gigs and up for future HDDVD recording etc.)

As far as waiting, if you have the cash buy the Sony now. I haven't heard or read about a new standard coming down the pipeline so being that it can handle + and - formats you should be set. (if someone has heard differnet please let me know:))

The only thing that will happen before HDDVD's is that the units will be able to record faster. Prices will drop a bit but not likely to get near the $100 mark in the next two years. So it really boils down to if you want to use the format.

I personally own a Pioneer A03 which I love. It is slow but I am saving data/making movies much easier than with cdr/rw's. I have my whole MP3 collection on 5 dvd's as opposed to 30+ cds:) I am going to get a Sony so that I can have both formats in one unit and don't foresee (sp?) the prices of dual format dvd burners coming down below $250 in the next year so it is more than worth it to me to use it now and enjoy it:)

If you are just getting the drive to save some data forget it. Just use CD's. You would be better of waiting IMO.

Again, I might be wrong with some of the info and will be glad to edit it if told/shown different:) Just letting you know what I have read about.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the help, i dont think I will get one after all. I dont really feel like spending money. I think i am just going to wait a while. I just went through 100 spindle of cds in the last month and i was getting tired of looking through all of them to find one that was near the other side of the spindle :)

And besides, if i wait, then i can buy more stuff for my case and what not :) I really want to run a water cooler in my case, but.... I dunno, too lazy, and too expensive right now.

Again, thanks for all the help.

How long does it take you to burn a full DVD at 2x? and what about 1x?

I have a Sony that burns it in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, but that is with data comparison and a readability check. It should be less without those(I have an extra that I would like to sell by the way).

@ 1 time mine takes about 45 min-1h.

TheCor4D - What in the world did you do to use up 100 cds last month!! I actually wernt to cdrws because I figured I would help to save the earth a bit:D All I use them for is music for friends and my car.

Back