• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any news on the 533MHz FSB XEONS ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Hi,

I checked the forums and there appears to be only 1 thread about them.:( Why so little info? I thought they were already released and by now people will have them.

Anyway... Here are a couple of questions I have:

- If I build a computer with 2 533MHz FSB Xeons, what memory configuration should I be looking for to keep them both with enough/full memory boundwidth? ( I guess I do not have much choice there as most likely they will be coming with 266MHz DDR only.)

- If there isn't a DDR solution that will satisfy the CPU's memory hanger, is there an older RDRAM SMP MOBO that supports the new 533MHz FSB?

- If not, how about a DualChannelDDR ?

Thank you!

Henry Rollins II said:
Unless the price of Xeon systems drop consideraby there will propably never be any volume on xeon threads.

Maybe you are thinking about the Xeon MPs which are >$1000 but from what I understand the regular Xeons (dual only) are not much more expensive than their single PIV counterpart.

Or maybe you are talking from the perspective of an AMD user. In which case it is true that in the bang-for-the-buck comparison AMD dually is better compared to XEONs.

I DON'T KNOW...

I plan to upgrade soon but I guess I will buy just a regular PIV and wait for the 800MHz FSB Xeons when they come out and pair them with Dual Channel 400MHz DDR.

Will 400MHz DCDDR provide enough bandwidth for a pair of 800MHz FSB Xeons? How about DDRII when it comes out?

Thank you!

We dont know whats coming up, can only speculate but that´s it. As of now, the dual DDR xeon board allow only 200 or 266 Mhz memory speed. That means 400 or 533 effective speed. I really dont think there will be official support for anything faster than that. Most dual ddr xeon boards also require registered ecc ram modules. Some of the E7505 boards take unbuffered ram but it has issues.

Why? Well, the performance isnt the main issue with Xeons, the stability is. And maybe thats just a rumour too. If they were no better than dual AMD , why would anyone buy them?

760mpx mobo: $250
2 x AMD MP2000: $350

E7505 mobo: $700
2 x Xeon 2.0 pc533: $550

Everything else the same, save $650 on an at least equal fast AMD system. Thats not peanuts.

Ebay.com. I bought them from the US site (I am in the UK). They were new and unused with warranty and the seller even labelled them as a gift so I didn't pay the import duty. They work great.

I would like to set my self up with a dual Xeon system but since I already have a dual Athlon system I cannot justify the cost.

Henry Rollins, you can get non-SCSI versions of e7505 boards for approximately $500, maybe less, maybe a little bit more.

Back