• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Longevity of an OC'd pally/tbred-a

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zeph009

Registered
I just ordered an Epox 8k3ae and Tbred 1700 from newegg with plans to overclock for the first time :)

I was wondering how long these baby's will run overclocked? Especially the Tbred's since a lot of you guys pump a lot of voltage in those 13 micron based cores.

I've heard alot about P4s living a short life from being overclocked, hopefully its not as common with Athlons.

My goal is at least 1.8ghz and gonna shoot for 2ghz on air with a Vantec Aeroflow ( http://www.overclockers.com/articles635/ ), with around 22C ambient temp, pc2700 ram running at around 166mhz.

Does this sound like a possible combination?

Sounds reasonable to expect 1.9-2.0ghz with that heatsink. It will run a little warm, though, so good case cooling is a must.

Well can't speak for pally's or TBreds, but my TBird has been running overclocked pretty hard for almost a year and a half. And the P3 I had before that is a 700 overclocked to 933 and has been running solid for 2 1/2 years. I have never had a single processor die due to overclocking

well lets narrow it down to the extreme overclocks, mainly palaminos running at 2ghz or tbred-As running at 2ghz.

Anyone ever damaged a core from OCing this much with that kinda voltage.

AMD chips are plenty tolerant of very high voltages, unlike P4s. Nothing to worry about as long as you don't go above, say, 1.8.

Back