• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need suggestions on video and sound cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

My friend's interested in upgrading his Gateway, and told me he wants to get a new video card and sound card (I think right now his stuff's onboard). His budget is $130 but he wants to play the games out now and wants good sound, so I was thinking a Radeon 8500 LE 64MB (if he can expand his budget it'll be the 128MB one) and a Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1. Anyone have a different suggestion to this?

Thanks

Tipycol

Don't waste your money on an Audigy. I suggest starting with a 5.1 Live, get a nice video card (radeon 8500 seem like a nice choice), and then if you have any money left, up the sound card.

-PC

i say go for the Hercules Fortissmo III 7.1 is around $45 oem and 70-85 retail. For the video get a gf4 ti4200 64mb

Last edited:
If he doesnt have good speakers, dont get anything more expensive than a SB 5.1. Spend the money on th gf-card instead....

I'd prolly go with the 8500

Yeah, good video card is better than good sound card. As long as the sound card isn't all crappy with static, he'll get by. He'll notice the graphics more than the sound.

K thanks guys. I don't know much about sound, but I figured the Audigy be about $60. Since Sound Blaster Live 5.1 is only $34 at newegg, guess that'll be the way to go. And the 8500 LE is $94 there (although it is the Powered by ATI, I'm trying to find a MADE by ATI that's that cheap :(). Now I gotta find him some ram. He increased the budget to $200, but now wants 512MB of sdram (if only he just said $200, then I would've gotten him a 9500 PRO ;)). And I think he needs it separate (2x256MB). Anyone know any good deals on that?

Back