• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me out here. Mobo/Proc problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sieldan

Registered
First some background.

The parts in question:
Mobo: AOpen AK77-Pro
Proc: AMD Anthlon 1800
AX1800DMT3C
AGKGA0143WPCW
Y7114950142

The Problem:
System was running fine. Dropped an XP1900+ inthere, boom, PS shuts down after 1 sec. Ok, board didnt like that. Put my 1800 back in there, same thing. Pull everything out. Boot a bare board, PS fans run up normal. No beep codes. Board power light on. Put my proc back in. PS shuts donw after 1 sec. Figger proc gone. Buy new 1800+ [AX1800DMT3C AGOIA0228UPBW 91501861358]. Stick it in, same deal. PS shuts down after 1 sec.

What do yall think? Its the mobo right? I just dropped 100 clams for nuttin, I think.

Sieldan

Could be the board, or something else. Are you running it with a stripped down system? PSU, motherboard, memory and video card only? If not, do that. Unhook everything, but hte parts I mentioned and try it again. Could your memory not be seated or something? Are you using a different heatsink? If so, is is hooked up to the motherboard, or directly hooked up to a Molex? If it's hooked up to the board, does it have an RPM wire? If it's not hooked to the board, try hooked another fan into the CPU fan header. Some motherboards won't boot if they detect no RPM's from the CPU fan header. Is your heatsink making good contact with the CPU? Verify this by applying a fresh layer of thermal compound, mounting the heatsink, then remove the heatsink. You should see a clear indention of the CPU core on the thermal compound. You should practically be able to read the CPU core off the heatsink.

Yea, done that.
(remember this system was running before testing roomie proc)
Mobo, proc, memory, vid - power for 1 sec then nada
Mobo, proc, memory - same
mobo, proc - same
mobo, power for as long as I care to run it.

Power defined as fans spin up run.

How about the heatink? Are you using the same one as always? Are you positive that it is making good contact with the CPU core? Are all of your molex connector unhooked from everything? Even the floppy and CD-ROM, etc.?

BTW, the system won't boot if you don't have the CPU, memory and video card in it.

Same heatsink as always. Got good 'mash' on the ASIII i use. Tried every possible combo on the onboard fan headers. (AOpen has a fan on the northbridge.

And I know it wont boot with out proc vid and memory, but the key is the PowerSupply dosent shut down like it does when there is a proc in. Oh, and thru all of this, not a single beep.

hmmm. Sounds like it's probably the board, then, or the PSU, which is less likely. Do you have any way of testing the PSU? Any kind of voltmeter or anything?

Already done. Cant remember exact readings but everything was real close.

Guess it's your board, then. Do you have another board you can test all of the other components on?

BTW, if you put the XP1900 in your board to test it, because it wasn't working in another system, it may be what killed your board, so don't use it on another system, unless you know for certain that it is good.

Thats what Im thinking, just wanted to get a second opinion before I tossed the board and bought another. Thanks for the sanity check.

Ya know what the biggest b!tch is about all this? This machine is my FOLDER!!!!! ARGH!

Oh yea, the fun of deciphering all the marketing mumbo jumbo and specs for mobos. GRRRR. Any reccomendations?

What hardware do you have now? Specifically what kind of memory do you have?

What kind of computer do you need? Single or dual processor?

How much are you willing to spend?

Ok,
proc is AMD Anthlon 1800+ (single)
memory is DDR (8 months old? No better than DDR200 [PC1600])
vid is a 3D Prophet 4500.

Whoa. Your memory runs at 133 FSB, right? If it is 100 MHz memory, that would definitely be a problem with your XP. XP's run at 133 FSB, not 100 FSB, which is what PC1600 is.

Assuming that's just a missprint and you really have PC2100, right now is a great time to get a KT333 based motherboard. They are pretty cheap, fast, and have lots of good features. You can use your current memory, if it's PC2100, or get PC2700, unlock your CPU and run 166 FSB or higher. This is a good performance boost. I have used the Shuttle AK35GT2 and the Epox 8K3A. The Shuttle is a good entry model. Nothing fancy, but a good board, overall. The Epox is a great overclockers board and you can find them pretty cheap sometimes. There are even newer models, of course, if you're willing to drop the cash. I'd stay away from VIA KT400 chipsets and Nforce2 chipsets, for now. They both have some performance issues to work out, before they will be good boards to buy.

What size PSU do you have? You'll need at least 300 watts for that CPU, preferably 350+.

If you do a lot of 3D Gaming, you may want to invest in a better video card. The best investments right now are the Radeon 8500(or LE model) or Geforce 4 Ti4200 (a little better than the Radeon 8500, but pricier.)

Ok, im home now (not for long tho) Just looked up my memory and here it is: Non-ECC, Unbuffered, 266Mhz, Synch 7.5ns, DDR SODIMM.

And Im just looking to get back running. Nothing super fancy, but while Im in there might as well get a board with some free overhead. Glad to see you listed the Epox 8k3a, as I have been looking at it.

Thanks for all yer help so far.
Have a good weekend, Im off to hunting camp for some 0-bandwidth time!

Siel

Just an Update

SHE IS ALIVE!!

Everything seems to be running stable. Temps are decent:
Case 30C
CPU 37C at full throttle (Folding)

Thanks for the assist ya'll

Siel

Back