• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KK266 Duron boots but Athlon won't

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tmitch

Registered
I have been running an Athlon 1600+ reliably for over two months at over 1600 mhz. About two weeks ago the CPU started ignoring the BIOS multiplier and went down to less than 800 mhz. This lasted about 2 days (computer turned off multiple times). I kept playing with the settings and all of a sudden, everything went back to normal.
Woried about my unlocking of the CPU, I took it out to check everything which looked normal. When I put it back in, my computer would not boot. Everything black. I may have zapped some static electricity (thought I heard something). Out/In a number of times. Finally decided that the chip had fried and put my old Duron 650 back in and computer booted up perfect (I of course, set FSB jumper back to 100).

Ordered and just received a new Athlon Tbred 1800+ and put it in my computer. NO BOOT. I don't know if the new CPU is defective or if something is wrong with the Motherboard. I don't have any way to check the CPU out except to send it back. Can something in the motherboard cause a Duron to work and an Athlon not work?

:(

I already have the latest version they offer (kk1022), but do you think re-flashing it might help? I guess it couldn't hurt!

Re-flashed and it didn't make any difference.

Darn Iwill support just takes a recorded message and hasn't called me back yet after two phone calls. I don't know whether to send my new T'bred back for a replacement or buy a new mobo or both or just sit here and whine.:(

Of course a new mobo would let me update to the Asus A7N8X, and that would make me upgrade to DDR memory (jeez I have 728 MB of old pc133 memory), and then I really need a higher wattage PSU, and then I would really like some USB connections out the front of my case.:eek:

Thanks for the reply.

If this is true, then I don't know if my Athlon 1600 is really zapped or not. I RMA'd the new t'bred and the replacement wouldn't work either, so I was assuming that the mobo was the problem.

IWILL still won't answer me so I can't ask them. So, I guess I will put the t'bred into my new Asus A7N8X and continue to run the Iwill KK266 with the old Duron @ 950 mhz, until I run across some way to test the Athlon.:(

Whoops!

After re reading your post, what I thought was a typo (kk2226) for the mobo, might have been referring to the bios. Did you mean bios (I have kk1022) or motherboard (which is a KK266)?

yeah , it was a spelling error , I have a kk266 and when I wanted a tbred the guy @ the shop said I would need a new mobo .Now I dont know if its true , but I never took the chance to find out;)

I just got mine out of the closet and fired it up again with an XP 1600+, 1022 bios, and three 256mb sticks of Mushkin Rev 3+ ram at 160fsb 2-2-2. I've got a Tbred running in my XP333R, so I may just switch them around to see if it will run in KK266R.

Back