• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Gigabit ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vinyljunky

EDIT : How did this end up at the top? I don't have a clue how that happened. Sorry :p

Developing an increase in the bandwidth of data comms radio technology is not as dependant on the frequency you transmit on as one may think. It tends to be based on transmission distance standards, complexity of the system and the channel coding schemas.

802.11a has already reached the 55MBps region, and it won't be long until that commercial boundary is broken again. I would guess that the gigabit boundary has already been reached in the research field, but only over very short distances.

Pretty high frequency for sure...I can't remember it offhand, but I believe there is a relativley simple formula for calculating bandwidth given frequency...I might be able to dig it up, we had to do that in one of my classes a year ago.

Not to mention there are probably plenty of tricks used to compress more data onto wireless frequencies...

Mike

Back