• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK800 worth it????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TyRex

what do you guys think........Is an SLK800 worth the extra 10 bucks over the sk7??? I'm gonna buy one of these for when i take my computer around because i don't want to have to haul my watercooling setup with me.......so I need some advice.....

If you can afford the extra $10, go for it. I went w/ the sk-7 and bought some round IDE cables w/ the money I saved.

btw, the slk-800 will also hold 60, 70 and 80mm fans.

Last edited:
http://www.bestbyte.net has the SK7 for a good bit cheaper then the SLK800. Almost 1/2 the price (not sure what prices your seeing though). I'd go for the SK7, I'm not sure the slight improvent in performace is worth the extra $10-$20 IMO.

yes i have it
nottin comes close
30 28
full load 34
and all my case fans are stealths
if u have to buy a heatsink buy the slk-800
i went from the Tt vulcano 6cu+ to the slk-800 and dropped my temps by almost 5c
not kidding u
u won't regret it
by the way my cpu fan is a 80mm @ 3400rpm

I've not used the 6 but it maybe a great HS. Can say that cooling isn't holding my overclock back, it is the video/agp bus at 200 fsb. I'm using the 800. See sig below for details. :cool:

deeppow said:
I've not used the 6 but it maybe a great HS. Can say that cooling isn't holding my overclock back, it is the video/agp bus at 200 fsb. I'm using the 800. See sig below for details. :cool:

what temps have you been seeing?????

looks like i'll break the bank and go with the 800, it may not be as good as my watercooled setup, but it will make things a lot easier when i take the computer to lans.......

Thanx a bunch guys.......oh, and what kind of fans do you guys recomend???? i've heard good things about the tornado and sunon 84 cfm......kind of expensive but i guess thats as fast as you can get in an 80 mm

TyRex,
At idle, I'm 7C above ambient. Underload, I'm 11C above ambient. Thus the difference between loaded and idle is 4C. Remember I'm using a 1.9V Vcore which is pretty aggressive on air. Max temp I've seen on the cpu was 42C once (room temp was warn that evening).

Not wowwwwing performance but good and solid. :cool:

Getting a fan is dependent on how much noise you can stand. A low 50cfm fan is about the limit on noise for me. These produce around 40dBa of noise generally. I don't like the use of a smartfan as a HSF but many others do. I've shorted my Thermaltake Smartfan I and it delivers about 53cfm at ~40dBa. There are a number of good reasonably priced fans in this general performance catorgory.

Good luck with your new setup when you get it and Happy Holidays! :cool: :D

Last edited:
It really depends on How much you want to spend
Some folks dont mind paying 50 bucks for a heatsink and fan.

Considering the Hammer platform wont be using the clips anymore, I think its really a waste.

I say the SLK-800 is very much worth it. I've never seen a top-of-the-line heatsink that hasn't ever not been worth getting. Personally, I use Alpha 8045's on all my socket A rigs because I move them around a lot, and the 4 hole mounting makes me feel a little better about bouncy car rides to lans.

And personally, I can't stand anything over 35-40dba myself

I guest I should have said that heatsinks with the clips wont be used on future amd motherboards. At this time it worth it, but when Hammer comes, you will probably display it as a art piece :)

that price at svccompucycle is the best ive seen....i'll probably go there.

i don't mind the noise from fans(i actually sleep with one going all the time), so the most cfm is what i'm going for

Back