• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a TEC PSU, Could i use this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MDA

Found this on ebay, do you think I could use it to power a TEC?

i-1.jpg

They discribe it as:

'13vdc high amp Power supply (Military Spec!!!) this is a top grade fused & shilded supply excellent for any 12vdc radio equipment.'

have sent email to find out the exact current rating, but am i right in thinking most TEC's use closer to 13v than 12v anyway? Looks like it might be small enough to mount inside the case.

Worth a try? or not?

MDA.

As long as it can pump out the amps the TEC needs you should be fine. I guess it also depends on how much it will cost you. I spent around $100 on my Mean Well (12v, 25A) for my 226w TEC. Working great for me so far :)

Good Luck

'13vdc high amp Power supply (Military Spec!!!)'

Its just the discription of 'high amp power supply' gives me hope it might me good enough. Oh and the 'military spec' bit as well!:)

MDA.

Operating at 12v is sub-optimal for most TECs. Yes, you can
operate most at that voltage but it wont get as cool.

Look at the specs for your TEC. That will tell you if this unit
is close enough for your use.

I'd almost guarantee that you don't want that supply.

Notice the near the indicator light where it says, "AC supply 240V on"?

Do you know whether this supply is meant to operate off of 120V, or do you have a source for 240V AC to power it with.

Also notice that it says, "Fuse 3A Fast". Most likely this supply is not designed for input currents greater than 1.5 Amps.

If it does work with 120V and 1.5A in, then the maximum output power is going to be less than 180 Watts. Not enough for a 226 Watt TEC.

If it takes 240V and 1.5A in and it is extremely efficient, you can get maybe 340 Watts out of it. (I very seriously doubt it.)

I'd blow this one off.

Since87 said:
I'd almost guarantee that you don't want that supply.

Notice the near the indicator light where it says, "AC supply 240V on"?

Do you know whether this supply is meant to operate off of 120V, or do you have a source for 240V AC to power it with.

Also notice that it says, "Fuse 3A Fast". Most likely this supply is not designed for input currents greater than 1.5 Amps.

If it does work with 120V and 1.5A in, then the maximum output power is going to be less than 180 Watts. Not enough for a 226 Watt TEC.

If it takes 240V and 1.5A in and it is extremely efficient, you can get maybe 340 Watts out of it. (I very seriously doubt it.)

I'd blow this one off.

Good observation. I could hardly see the numbers, but you are
absolutely right. MDA, forget this one. A good one will come along
in a few days. They always do on ebay. :)

Got the email reply, and yeah its only rated for max 3amps, didnt notice the fuse rating on the case, oh well!:(

MDA.

Back