• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help picking a dremel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i got a black and decker RTX. Its the same thing as the dremel and it uses all the same parts and i got the RTX itsself and a 112 pice set with it for 45.99 from walmart. Its nice, but what ever you do make sure not to get the cordless one, they suck.

Ya, I noticed that the cordless ones spin at a much lower RPM level. The one I get will definently have a cord on it. Are there any other specs I should be sure to check on when i purchase it?

not really, most of them are pretty much the same tool. just make sure you get a corded one first. the cordless ones are convenient and can do a decent job, but they have no balls and guzzle their battery packs. I have the $50 kit from home depot and love it. use it all the frikkin time ;)

SkiFletch said:
not really, most of them are pretty much the same tool. just make sure you get a corded one first. the cordless ones are convenient and can do a decent job, but they have no balls and guzzle their battery packs. I have the $50 kit from home depot and love it. use it all the frikkin time ;)
Yep, i agree i bought it to use on the computer and now i use it for everything...open pop cans, brush my teeth..well you get the idea.

Make sure you get a variable speed Dremel. You'll kick yourself if you don't. Also, if you work on drywall at all, the roto-zip attachment is great.

get an RTX, they are soo much better! MORE POWER!!!! and variable speed! got mine for 50 bucks at target, with a bunch of extras!

RTX is better than a dremel. Dremels come in 1 amp and 1.2 amp models. The RTX is 2 amp. An amp is a unit of power.

I had a dremel, and when cutting or doing other things, it slowed down a lot. Then it died. My RTX is still going strong, and barely slows down when I'm using it. Sure the dremel hits 35000 RPM, as opposed to the RTX's 30000rpm, but, when you make the dremel do any work, it slows down a LOT!

Oh, yeah, and the working end of an RTX is almost identical to a dremel, so all dremel attachments work with it.

DodgeViper said:
I would buy a air driven tool that looks just like a dremel, but uses 1/4" shank bits. I have one and it does wonders.
thats overkill, not to metion hes gonna have to fire up an air compressor everytime he wanna uses it

Some people have an air system plumbed into the garage and is left on full time (me Dad). I love airtools, and when oiled regularly, they last forever. I know tool and die repairmen who have 15-20 year old air tools, never seen a 15 year old Dremel that was used almost daily on grinding steel.

Anyway, I have a B&D wizzard with the flexshaft, love that. But if I had the coin for an air system....whooza!

I've used both the Dremel Multi-speed and the Black & Decker RTX. I would suggest the B&D RTX over the Dremel. The RXT runs about the same speeds, but has a lot more torque. They use the same size bits, etc.. so it's all interchangeable (like mentioned before).

Where I live, I only found the B&D at Walmart, and it only came in a kit with a nice box for parts, etc... Not a bad deal & the box is pretty handy :)

Back