• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got Little Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mugen1516

Hey guys,
I got a little annoyance. On my old rig (Abit BE6-II with a slot 1 P3 700), sometimes it'll start up and sometimes it wont even post. WHen it doesnt post I hit the switch on the back and then clear the cmos and usually itll start up again. WHat could be causing this? And also it likes to restart on its own a lot. SO, sometimes it boots up fine and sometimes it wont even post. If I have both cd roms hooked up it wont boot up. If I disconnect the cdroms itll boot. ANy ideas?

Check the voltages of your PSU. When you get it to post, jump into your BIOS settings, and check your PSU voltages. They should be within 5% of their rated voltages. If not your PSU is going bad and should be replaced. If the voltages are higher than normal than one of the voltage limiting compononents in the CPU is going bad and could cause damage. If they're too low, then that would explain the reboots as even a millionith of a second loss in power can cause a reboot.

i'd say it's a psu problem as well. the real giveaway is that when you plug in both cd roms it won't post. that's classic of a bad/going out a psu. try another one if you can and that's 99% probability of being you problem. good luck.

Mr.DLucey said:
Sounds like a possible PSU problem.

I use to have the same thing. I would unplug the PS for a few mins and plug back in and it would work/boot just fine.

Turns out I had a cheap PS.
Rob

I was thinking it was too. Hmm, I will pull my Enermax PSU from my new rig and put it in my old one and see if everything is fine. Thanks guys!

If its an old psu, try cleaning the dust out of it, sometimes dust causes short circuits, happened to me.

MDA.

Sorry I didn't update you guys. It turns out that it was a bad PSU. I stuck my Enermax 350watt PSU from my newly built computer in my older computer and it booted it and worked great like it used too. So, I just bought another PSU for my new system (Antec TruePower 430watt). Thanks you guys.

Back