Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

PC Speaker Magnet next to HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 12-14-02, 01:24 AM Thread Starter   #1
GooGobbler

Question PC Speaker Magnet next to HD

Hi people. Alright, here is what happened: I was tightening a screw on a fan and it fell to the bottom of the case. I attempted to find it but I couldn't for a while. Well, what do you know! The screw was magnetically attracted to a magnet on my PC Speaker! The magnet's location in the case is what scared me. It was right below my Hard Drives! Now I want to know if that magnet has the potential to corrupt or even damage my hard drive, or are new hard drives now magnetically shielded? Here is a picture of what I am talking about: Yellow = HD, Red = Magnet on PC Speaker

Thanks!
GooGobbler is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-14-02, 01:53 AM   #2
looktall

not many people realise this, but inside a hdd, you will find one of the strongest magnets in the world.

i think the ****y magnet on the case speaker won't even be noticed.
looktall is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-14-02, 03:40 AM   #3
lonewolf1983

1) its probably magnetically shielded
2) its such a small magnet it doesnt produce a stong field
3) wiped data happens thru change of magnetic field (ie wiped by powerful pulstating magnetic field by moving it rapidly) not by a static magnet.

you should be safe
lonewolf1983 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 01:15 AM   #4
progamer

Wait a minute. What about two hard drives that are stacked together in the same case? How come they don't interfere with each other in that situation?
progamer is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 01:30 AM   #5
The VTech
Captain Bawls

If I remember my reading right, HDD magnets use "Earth Magnets" Also I believe that HDD makers are supposed to use the same feild ranges per the FCC regulations bla bla bla bla.

Whether this is 100% true in all cases or not I have no idea, but I do know that the magnet IN the hdd is about 100x more powerful than that cheapy one at the bottom of the case.
The VTech is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 04:56 AM   #6
Ghost68

you have nothing to fear... the magnets inside harddrives are indeed super strong... they are strong enough to draw blood ... so that puny speaker magnet wont do any damage...

Mobile Barton 2400+ 2.0ghz (15 * 133MHZ) @ 4000+ 2.5ghz (10.5X * 238MHZ) 2v | Thermalright AX-7 w/ Delta 68 | Abit NF7S Rev2
512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 (DDR 400) @ >PC3700 (DDR 476)
Optorite 8x+-R 4x+-RW | Western Digital 100GB SE Harddrive | Maxtor 160GB SE Harddrive
Ati Radeon 9700 PRO 128mb
19" NEC MultiSync 97F / 17" KDS Avitron a7tf both 1280x768 85hz
DigiDoc 5
Logitech z-540 Speakers
Natural Keyboard Pro
Logitech MX700 Mouse (have the Wireless Desktop but the keyboard is crap)
Temps: High but stable.... (roughly translated IMMMMM MEEEEEELLLLLLTTTTTIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG)
Ghost68 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 05:56 AM   #7
meksyk

I didn't know that a magnet could be that strong until I oppened a dead WD hd, the two small plate magnets could hold eachother with my hand between them (i said my hand, not my fingers )

Phenom II X3 720 --- MA 770OT-UD3P,
4GB DDR3 1333 --- BFG 8800GT
SOYO 24D6 monitor --- Rosewill RP55V2-S-SL Power supply

Last edited by meksyk; 12-15-02 at 06:37 AM.
meksyk is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 06:09 AM   #8
Ghost68

yeah i disect every computer part of mine that dies hehe well needless to say i was playin with 2 harddrive magnets and they snapped shut on the webbing(cant think of a better name) between my index finger and thumb it took an hour for the bleeding to stop

Mobile Barton 2400+ 2.0ghz (15 * 133MHZ) @ 4000+ 2.5ghz (10.5X * 238MHZ) 2v | Thermalright AX-7 w/ Delta 68 | Abit NF7S Rev2
512mb Corsair XMS PC3200 (DDR 400) @ >PC3700 (DDR 476)
Optorite 8x+-R 4x+-RW | Western Digital 100GB SE Harddrive | Maxtor 160GB SE Harddrive
Ati Radeon 9700 PRO 128mb
19" NEC MultiSync 97F / 17" KDS Avitron a7tf both 1280x768 85hz
DigiDoc 5
Logitech z-540 Speakers
Natural Keyboard Pro
Logitech MX700 Mouse (have the Wireless Desktop but the keyboard is crap)
Temps: High but stable.... (roughly translated IMMMMM MEEEEEELLLLLLTTTTTIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG)
Ghost68 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 02:18 PM   #9
JigPu
Inactive Pokémon Moderator

10 Year Badge

Don't worry about it. Like everyone else said, your drive will only die if it encounters a dynamic magnetic field.

One of the kids in my Chemistry class brought in a ancient 5.25" 300MB Apple HD. We disceted it durring class (it was a free day) and played with the magnets for the whole period. He says he'll bring in another one Monday so that I can get one of the magnets (Him, and one of my friends got the first two).

I also get the middle platter!!
JigPu

.... G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage ............. 8 GiB ..... 1600 MHz ............ 1.25 V
.... OCZ Vertex 3 ................................. 120 GB ............. nilfs2 ..... Arch Linux
.... Kingwin LZP-550 .............................. 550 W ........ 94% Eff. ....... 80+ Plat
.... Nocuta NH-D14 ................................ 20 dB ..... 0.35 C°/W ................ 7 V

"In order to combat power supply concerns, Nvidia has declared that G80 will be the first graphics card in the world to run entirely off of the souls of dead babies. This will make running the G80 much cheaper for the average end user."
"GeForce 8 Series." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 7 Aug 2006, 20:59 UTC. Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. 8 Aug 2006.
JigPu is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 05:23 PM   #10
Captain Slug
Helpful Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by JigPu
I also get the middle platter!!
Platters are great to play with. They're so shiny

That reminds me... I have two 40mb hard drives to take apart.

Last edited by Captain Slug; 12-15-02 at 05:47 PM.
Captain Slug is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 05:44 PM   #11
meksyk

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Slug

Platter are great to play with. They're so shiny

indeed, they are

Phenom II X3 720 --- MA 770OT-UD3P,
4GB DDR3 1333 --- BFG 8800GT
SOYO 24D6 monitor --- Rosewill RP55V2-S-SL Power supply
meksyk is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 05:47 PM   #12
Captain Slug
Helpful Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Pooowdered Toooooast Maaaaaaaaaan!!!

Sorry, I couldn't hold that in any longer

Old 12-15-02, 08:12 PM   #13
Monaco

it has to do with how magnetic fields work. Firstly, the strength of a magnetic field decreases as the inverse square of the distance between the magnet and where you're measuring. Second, and this is the part where my head starts to hurt, it takes a certain strength of field to change what's on a HD platter. This strength is called an "oesterd".

If your magnet doesn't produce enough oesterds, it won't affect the platter even a little bit- it's like it's not even there. And those little PC speakers aren't strong enough from outside the drive- thanks to how fast magnet strength decreases over distance, the thickness of the HD case is more than enough to keep it shielded.

If the magnet was actually touching the platter, then it would *maybe* be intense enough to mess it up. But that won't ever happen

well, I learned all this at Dan's Data, but I can't find the link to the exact article- so I hope there aren't too many factual errors! Bottom line, a PC speaker will never be strong enough to hurt a drive.
Monaco is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 08:28 PM   #14
GotNoRice

I had one of my computers next to one of my speakers for a while and it didn't cause any problems.

And we aren't talking about computer speakers, this puppy had a 10 pound magnet.
GotNoRice is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 08:46 PM   #15
diggingforgold

10 Year Badge

I've been reassured of this same problem on this board that it is safe, but I'm just not at ease about the whole magnet + PC component deal...

So I unplugged mine and threw it out
diggingforgold is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 10:33 PM   #16
Lance Thornton

Capt. Slug, did you say 40 MB harddrive? How old are they? 286 or 386 era?
Lance Thornton is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 10:34 PM   #17
looktall

Quote:
Originally posted by Monster of Rock

well, I learned all this at Dan's Data, but I can't find the link to the exact article-
is this it?
http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm
even if that's not the exact article, it's still a good read.
you might want to make sure the coffee cup is full though, because like all of Dan's articles it's very looong!
looktall is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 11:06 PM   #18
Monaco

heh yah I think that's the one! But it'd take me 20 minutes to read thru and be sure Dan is great but his articles need an index or something.
Monaco is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-15-02, 11:46 PM   #19
nard
Registered

prolly 286 era

my 286 had a 30mb hdd.
nard is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-16-02, 12:31 AM   #20
q149

just dont get any non-computer subs anywhere near your comp. i had my car subs like 4 feet from my big trinitron tv and it turned the whole entire tv green. luckily it didnt damage the tv permanatly, i immediatly turned of the tv adn moved them adn it was fine when i turned it back on. it really could have done some dmg to a comp though i think

- Karl Marx
q149 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.