• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vapor phase idea.. is this feasable and other questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RuKK

I was reading how some of the guys at Xtremesystems and here have built their own vapor phase cooling systems, found lots of pics etc a couple days ago. Well, I've managed to get my heart rate down to normal levels :D and designed my own. here is a pic of my idea.

I have a Antec SX1200 (26") case, and I've got lots of space, especialy if I remove the 2 front drive cages for the reservoir.

Is there a maximum length for capillary tubes? Is it necessary to have it that long?

Anything I'm forgetting? Also, I really dont know where my fill valves etc should be. I'm planning on using my compressor to create the vacume inside the system. In my design, how would that work?

Does this plan not make alot of sense? I'm not sure about efficiency. Everyone seems to have their own method, so I'm wondering whats effective and whats not. Hopefully going to dig up a largish heatcore from an old car for the condenser.

What is the best method of attaching the copper pipes which is fairly easy given I dont have many tools or a workshop. Working outside isent a big deal, and I can spend a bit of money on tools, but I'm planning on constructing this on a tight budget :mad:

Anyway, thanks a bunch guys.

//edited for typo

that looks like it would work just fine. All you need for attaching pipes is brazing them and that can be done fairly easy with a mapp gas blow torch. Capillary cant be too long or it will overheat the compressor but as long as you dont go over 12' or so you should be fine. The more the capillary the colder the evap will get however at the same time the less heat it can handle, you have to find the sweet spot. Im using my compressor as a vacuum pump right now and I found it only pulls about a 22" vacuum, this isnt enough to boil water at room temp but it does raise the boiling point to 160f so you can take a heater to it while vacuuming. The way I made my vacuum was by adding a shutoff valve right after the high side fill valve, while vacuuming you just shut the valve off and open the high side fill valve and close the low side fill valve, this will create a vacuum.

pic

Last edited:
No, actually that diagram is backwards.You should go with a direct die system as they aren't that much harder to do.

But anyways, condenser inlet ALWAYS goes on top, or else your liquid will puddle in low points along with oil.Evaporator capillary entrance on that evap should be on the bottom too.

Run the capillary through the suction line also.I really recomend not wasting your time with a chiller, and going direct die.

By the way, it isn't vapor phase change or anything like that, it is just phase change, or refrigeration.It changes into a vapor from a liquid, they make it sound like it changes into a liquid from a vapor.Either way it is retarded.

Back