• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Haelp!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

Hey i have to do a science fair project and wanted to something with computers and was wondering if any of you guys could think of some could experiments baybe with fiber optics or something like that, any ideas of suggestions would be oppritiated.
thanks

go ahead with the ideas my teacher is a frikken genius he worked in area 51 and with the goverment working with nucleaur bombs and radars and crap like that he will fugure it out

How about replacing the HD cables with fiber optics. If fiber optics are faster/better than metal lines, wouldn't that help improve the speed and information transmission within a computer? Hard to do within a case, but with a table top to work with...

DWolf:cool:

Some drives are already optical. I believe it's called fiber channel, and some high end hard drives use it. It is compatible with SCSI and can be used over copper cables, or over optical cables. Apparently it offers something like 1gbit per second bandwidth, and devices can be up to 6 miles away. Blows my mind. I'm not sure if you could find a short length optical cable/controller on the cheap for a science project through...? Pricewatch is showing roughly $100 for a controller, another $120 or so for optical cabling. I saw some drives on pricewatch for about $30 or so...I am not sure if it is a misprint, but pretty cheap for an 18gb 10k RPM drive.

Or, it would be cool to compare high end disk technologies.... If you could find an old 8088 or 286 PC with an MFM hard drive, then compare it to a modern machine with ATA133, then serial ATA, then to UW SCSI, then to fiber channel. Sheeot, that's my idea. Yea. Maybe do a comparison between two drives: same cache, same RPM, same specs except have one using fiber channel with appropriate optical cable/controller and the other using a standard UW SCSI.

-ben

Back