• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooled Noob needs advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wackygore

I've finally gotten up the nerve to run water through the delicate electronics that is my computer, and was hoping some of the experts here could give me there opinion. I need to keep the cost down as much as possible, but would still like to get a good system. The case I’m currently using doesn't have enough room to mount a radiator in so I’m planning on drilling 2 holes for the tubes out one side and placing my radiator and pump/reservoir on the outside. I'm plan on using the following components

Maze 3 with the copper top, 1/2" brass fittings and the stainless steel mounting hardware

Heater core from Danger Den, unless anyone can convene me that I really can make one myself.

Eheim S1000 Submersible Pump - Everyone seems to suggest this brand and this model sales for $25+ less then the 1250.

I plan on placing the pump in some sort of reservoir though I have no idea what I'm going to use. Any suggestions?

If anyone sees any pitfalls with this system, or just has a comment in general please let me know. I'm currently very excited/apprehensive about the idea of using water to cool my toy…… Ah system.

1. Good choice on the WB. It's a proven performer. A TC-4 is slightly better, but they're both good.
2. If you can operate a hacksaw or dremel, and mix JB-weld, you can modify your own heatercore. It is extremely easy (for me). If you cannot operate a hacksaw, dremel, or JB-weld, the Heater Core from Danger Den is not horribly overpriced.
3. A tupperware container makes a good, easy res. So do many electrical boxes. Just take measurements of what you need, then visit wal-mart and the hardware store. You'll find many things that will work.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

looks like a good setup to me...
i suggest an underground electrical box from home depot as a res.

good luck

I'm not horribly inept, but I only had my first dremel experience yesterday. My main worry is that I'm not that familur with workind with metal, wood I can handle but metal is new to me. Does anyone have a link to a How-to-guide on building one of these radiators? Maby it would be a good project to learn on.

well, here's how to make a shroud for the heatercore. for the barbs, just go to home depot, buy 1/2" barbs (get 5/8" npt thread if you can, otherwise just use 1/2" npt). cut the fittings on the radiator down to the length you want. then slicea little way down the middle and squeeze the extra space down smaller so that they will fit inside the npt thread. mix jbweld. weld barb over the heatercore fitting. sit back, have a beer, and congratulate yourself.

it still might be better for you to get the barbed heatercore, but dont waste your cash on a shroud for sure

Ya I saw that thread the other day, was definatly going to get my shroud that way. Even checked with the wife and have a bowl all ready to go. :)

Think my problem with the radiator is that I want to make my own, just not confident enough that I know what I'm doing yet.

Back